InstantPot (or other pressure cooker) Opinions? Please.

Options
2»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @standenvernet I'm assuming you're in Denver, as am I. What adjustments do you make for high altitude?
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @standenvernet I'm assuming you're in Denver, as am I. What adjustments do you make for high altitude?
    I'm a little bit west of things, but, yeah...

Generally, if I can increase the pressure two settings higher from what the recipe says, I'll go up those 2-pressure levels and then add about 1% per thousand feet to the cooking time. (I had a mushroom recipe that was a "low" pressure thing and this worked quite well without "sogging" the mushrooms).

Where the recipe is high-pressure (most), then I'll add about 15% more time for 6500msl and 45% for 11000msl (Alma @ 10600msl). Since pressure is non-linear, it'd be easier just to figure a percentage to add for where you are (like Denver proper = add 15% to the cooking time) and just go with that, I think.

One of the better reads on this topic is on the hipressurecooking.com website, though their presentation presents 'pressure' as relative to ambient (so reading 0-psi is NOT in outer-space, just your kitchen :wink: ); then they mix that up as they begin to talk about high-altitudes -- so, it could take a little extra reading to follow along as they skip back-and-forth on how they talk about pressures.

The article at hipressurecooking.com says to, " ... add 5% (cooking time) for every 1000 ft above 2000 ft elevation" rounding up to the next minute as needed, which aligns well with the values that I've been using.

Here's that link: https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-psi-faq-the-stuff-you-didnt-think-to-ask/ (again, they mix their pressure references, but it's some stuff to read)

• megbelievesshecan
    megbelievesshecan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use mine about 5 times a week. They are amazing.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pot and use it at least 3-4 times a week. Best small appliance I have ever bought.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I use mine the most for boiled eggs and yogurt, also for chicken stock, and the occasional soup or chili. Cooking chicken breasts quickly from frozen is amazing, but the one caveat I have is that food can get overcooked easily ("fork tender" is not ideal for all meats) and get that bland lack of taste like in a slow cooker.

I've made some amazing cheesecakes in it, though.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Got TWO of them for Christmas and I use them all the time. I got a large one and small one and almost took the small one back before someone said, just see if you wouldn't use them both and guess what? I use them both A LOT! I am in love with them and it is just about incredible what you can make in them in such a short amount of time. I'm talking frozen stuff to fall apart meat in less than 1/2 hour. Can't say enough good things about them. Plus, there are off brands so you can save some money that way if you don't want the brand name sticker shock.
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is the one I bought 3 years ago. I use it all the time. GoWISE USA GW22620 4th-Generation Electric Pressure Cooker with steam rack, steam basket, rice scooper, and measuring cup, 6 QT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VXXT5EU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_9lBNAbRPQHNZH
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It's awesome for meal prep. I use it all the time, unlike many other of my brilliant purchases which collect dust :smile: .
  • ftogrl
    ftogrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also use mine about 4 times per week! Amazing appliance to save time!
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Another happy Instant Pot owner here! I love that I can cook a pot of beans while out running errands. Also, electric pressure cookers don't heat up the kitchen, so you're more likely to cook in the summer too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Love my IP. Don't use it for everything like some people do, but it's useful for what I do use it for.
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just got one too. Love it
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I bought a meuller IP shortly after Xmas. I paid $70 on amazon and glad I did because a few weeks after the new year the prices went thru the roof when every one wanted one.
    When I can cook a rack of ribs in less than an hour....REALLY?! The hardest part is removing that membrane from those ribs! They come out incredibly tender <3
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Try chicken wings. 10 minutes on high pressure and finish them off on the grill or under the broiler. Amazeballs!