What is your opinions on weight loss bets? "Pot Bets" Have you used?

Options
Karliemyalgia
Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss

I have heard of weight loss bets.
Have you used them in the past?
You know, everyone puts X in the pot to lose X lbs and at the end of X period of time if you are successful = you split the winnings. If you are unsuccessful, try harder next time.

I am disabled with a chronic myofascial pain disability that debilitates me and worsens upon more movement. So it's difficult for me to be motivated, and I have over the years of diagnosis stress and bankruptcy, etc, honestly life going to all hell, I'm now in cateogry obese for my height! Coming in 155lbs at 4'11.

Money motivates me, I don't have much of it either so imagine coming out thinner AND ahead.
Perhaps that's just a crap-shoot dream lol! But I was curious about others experiences with them.

Replies

• SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    For me personally I’d be very concerned that my competitiveness would lead me to unhealthy weightloss techniques for the sake of winning. But if you’re not concerned about that kinda thing then it seems like a cool way to motivate yourself. Then again, the general rule with betting is that you don’t bet what you can’t afford to lose - so for your situation this may be the biggest question you need to ask yourself before you continue.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I tried out DietBet last month which was to lose 1% in 4 weeks, it was motivating but ultimately my fitness goals/sustainability are more important to me than my weight loss and I just couldn't justify trying to keep up the deficit required for the challenge and maintain my activity level. I took part out of curiosity more than anything else and only signed up for a $10 challenge.

I think it could be a good way for someone to get started as it really encouraged me to log more accurately than I had in a while in the run up to it and during it but I am more comfortable with a pound per week loss, even though technically I can sustain a 2 pound per week loss.

I also tried out the StepBet app (it was free entry with the prize being a draw for a pair of Nike trainers but normally it's $40 in for a 4 week challenge) it is a similar premise except it's more tailored to your own situation (the goal is based on your previous step info from your phone/wearable), that I liked. Unlike weight loss which has can be influenced by all kinds of things, I can control how many steps per day I get. So I think I may do that again in the future.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Gambling is never the answer to solve any problem.
  • nikipam11
    nikipam11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i think it is worth a shot. Pay attention to yourself and your body. If you get into a position that you are not comfortable with, you can always stop. But if money is what motivates you, why not try. You should find motivation where you can. Sometimes it is hard to come by.