Lifting progress

Options
Started PPL a few weeks ago. In term of progress, what should I expect? Is it acceptable to stay on the same weight for a few sessions? Or am i expected to progress at each session, even if it was by a couple KGs? TIA

Replies

• jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Started PPL a few weeks ago. In term of progress, what should I expect? Is it acceptable to stay on the same weight for a few sessions? Or am i expected to progress at each session, even if it was by a couple KGs? TIA

Some people will tell you that you should be increasing weight every week, but to me that's unrealistic, it takes awhile to gain strength, but just continue to push yourself, try to always get one more rep whenever you work a set, at some point you'll notice your reps starting to increase at that weight then you know it's time to bump it up a little bit.

Thanks!!, very good point about increasing the rep when possible.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

Some people will tell you that you should be increasing weight every week, but to me that's unrealistic, it takes awhile to gain strength, but just continue to push yourself, try to always get one more rep whenever you work a set, at some point you'll notice your reps starting to increase at that weight then you know it's time to bump it up a little bit.

Thanks!!, very good point about increasing the rep when possible.

No problem! This is just based on what I've learned and try to do myself I can't speak for others and I don't really know what's 100% the best way but then again each person responds differently, some people respond to heavier weights, some people respond to higher reps, you'll read some articles say one thing and another article saying another both with research etc...but at the end of the day it's some trial and error of figuring out what works for you, as long as you push your muscles each time you work out, challenge yourself, and progress in some manner, it doesn't really matter which specific way you choose in my overall opinion after all is said and done.
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    This is new to me (PPL), I will give it a go for at least 2 months and reassess then. I may continue with it, or switch to a different lifting program (TBH i can get easily bored at the gym if I keep doing the same thing over and over). Also, I am training with a hernia, i wear a special belt to help. So while i give 100%, there is some limitation. I could get operated, but the surgeon can't guarantee that it won't come back, and i personally think that i would be more nervous after an operation to go back to weight lifting in case it reappear again (Plus that's 3 months minimum without strenuous training after the op), while currently i have the hernia, yes it could get worse, but it's there and I know it.
    I just want to get get rid of body fat right now, while i am still on a calorie deficit. Hopefully I am doing the right thing.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    while in a calorie deficit your goal would be to mostly maintain strength. You may have some newb gains for a bit but you'll notice a point where you can't get stronger. Maybe after a few. months but everyone is different. don't lose hope your still making "gains" by losing fat and maintaining strength. increases in lifts per session, in my experience, really only come in some kind of bulking phase and even then it's not every week
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    How long you have been training and if in a calorie surplus or deficit is a huge part of the progression. When I was new to lifting I could add weight every session. I was also in a deficit and could easily add 5lbs to upper body lifts and 10lbs to lower body lifts.

After about 3-4 months I was only adding 1-2lbs on upper body and 3-5 on lower body. I was still in a deficit and likely could have increased progression if I was in a surplus. I moved to weekly progression at around 4 months.

After about 7 months I couldn't progress on weekly while in a deficit. I increased my calories to maintenance and was able to increase lifts weekly once again.

At 10 months now and still in maintenance. Progression is now more a bi-weekly thing but if I was at a surplus it would likely be weekly. In a deficit, it would be stuck at same weight likely the whole time.
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    I have been training since Jan-31, I think you are right. I have increased a fair bit on legs day, but Pull and Push have come to a bit of standstill. Today what i have done is doing on my compound set, and extra set of 1x with maybe 2.5kg extra (that's the minimum i can add). I am quite happy to carry on that way, though I started to find the sessions a bit boring as they repeat all the time and I don't have time to add extra session (which would add even more tiredness anyway). I also add a bit of cardio before and after my session (because i actually enjoy cardio).

I have also entered London to Brighton bike ride, so at some stage i will have to start going out on my bike to prepare it, that's not a race but I am doing it with some mate and I suspect already that it is going to be competitive...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As a novice lifter you can expect to increase the weight every session on compound lifts for a couple of months. It's more than reasonable to expect this progress if you use good form and follow the program.

Once you stall on a lift, one reset might be acceptable depending on program outlines. But generally I will move the people to intermediate training for a particular lift before they run out their LP.