What are your percentages for the Macros

Options
I was eyeballing the Macros and you know back in the day it was high protein, low fat nowadays it is the Keto diet hight fat...low carbs. I set mine as 25 carb 35 protein and 45 fat...I was reading about body types and I do think my metabolism is slow...and this was the suggested percentage for my body type. Just curious what everyone else is doing regarding the percentage.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Body types are nonsense... eat based on your goals, your preferences, and your ability to adhere. Nothing else makes any meaningful difference.

I shoot for a minimum of 150g protein per day.
    I shoot for 175ish grams of carbs per day.
    I let fats fall where they may.

But that's me. That may or may not have any bearing on what you should or shouldn't do.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Most people who think they have a slow metabolism don't. It's all about intake vs output.

Macro splits are very individual. I've adjusted mine numerous times with no variance in rate of loss provided I'm logging accurately, but massive differences in satiation and energy. Right now I'm at 40C-35F-25P. Fat is my most satiating macro, but I find it I go too low carb I'm tired and grumpy. Meanwhile, I still want to get a decent amount of protein. Your mileage will vary.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    ^ this.

Somatypes have been debunked and your metabolism is probably fine.

Every decade has a dieting trend, but calories are what matter for weight loss.

Make sure you get the minimum recommended amounts for Protein & Fat and then make the rest up in whatever way suits your individual satiety.

8awjgu2jyf5a.jpg

• sheila_gk
    sheila_gk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb dieting but it wasn't working for me. I felt like I was constantly depriving myself and it made it near impossible to go out or eat at friends' houses.

At the moment I have left the macros as the standard setup is - I think it's 50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein. I do try to keep protein slightly higher and carbs a tad lower rather than anything else.

This works for me. It allows me to stay within my goal and gives me enough energy for working out.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Right now I am toying with 40% carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. However, I am usually under my carb goal and over my fat goal, probably from being used to eating paleo for the last couple of years.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am going to put this link right here .. there is a section called Setting Up Macro Targets

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

I figure mine out in grams, protein and fat being a minimum macronutrient I hit everyday. The rest carbs. While the free app uses percentages, I figured mine up and select the percentage on my diary that covers my goals.

Also body types are not a thing. You should eat according to personal preference, but moreover for your current size/weight and activity/exercise levels.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i aim for at least 100g of protein a day (which is 20-25% of my cals usually), and i find that eating higher fat helps keep me full, so around 30-35% of my cals is fat, and then carbs the rest.