Coffee and creamer for breakfast

Options
I have no real appetite in the morning. So recently started drinking coffee but can't stand it black and I don't want to add artificial sugar since I quit diet Coke I refuse to eat any aspartame. So, I got creamer. Coffee mate. Anyone else do this for breakfast? Am I ultimately sabotaging myself?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You’re not sabotaging yourself by using creamer. I personally don’t like creamer, I use half and half and a little sugar. But that’s just my preference.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    That whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" thing is BS. If you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat then. If you are enjoying your coffee and creamer, keep doing that, but don't drink so much of it that you go over your calorie budget. Add some sugar, even, if that makes you happy. What about that makes you worry about sabotage?
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You're not sabotaging yourself as long as you measure and log it. There are many people here who only have coffee for breakfast because they are not genuinely hungry until later. Just make sure you measure that creamer to accurately log how many calories you are putting in your coffee. I was eyeballing my creamer for awhile and logging it as 1 serving which is 1 tbsp. at 35 calories when I actually started measuring it I was putting in 3 which was 110 calories and way higher than I thought!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    log it ..... thats all you need to do ... measure and log

I dont use Creamer, but even whole milk can splurge 200kcal a day on coffees
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love creamer in my coffee, but I figured out that I was using about 100 calories worth of creamer every day! I replaced it with 1/3 of a Premier protein shake. It's about 53 calories and gives me 10 grams of protein. I figure that way I'm at least getting some protein for the calories I'm consuming! :)

I had bariatric surgery, though, so I have to really push to get my protein in. If you'd like an alternative to creamer, I highly recommend the Premier protein shakes! The caramel one is awesome in coffee.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Coffee and creamer is my usual breakfast. If it works for you and fits into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day then I don't see any way it would sabotage you. Just pay attention to how you feel throughout the day and tweak your diet as you need to.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I have no real appetite in the morning. So recently started drinking coffee but can't stand it black and I don't want to add artificial sugar since I quit diet Coke I refuse to eat any aspartame. So, I got creamer. Coffee mate. Anyone else do this for breakfast? Am I ultimately sabotaging myself?

Hey babe. I use Cofee mate too!!! No sugar or sweeteners. ;)

The second ingredient in liquid coffee mate (original flavor) is corn syrup solids (a.k.a. sugar). (The first ingredient is water, which basically means they bought dehydrated corn syrup, most likely because it's cheaper to ship that way, and added water to rehydrate it.)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I add 0.25 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and one tbsp of hazelnut creamer.
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in my coffee to sweeten it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp half and half in my coffee. It comes up to 70 calories. I prefer half and half to coffeemate, but use whatever you like as long as you log the calories you are good.
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of flavored protein powder as my creamer alternative... it sweetens and flavors my coffee - plus gives me a big protein helping to start the day. Yeah, I know... weird... and not for everyone - but works for me. Had mocha cappuccino swirl in my coffee this morning, but I alternate between various chocolate, vanilla, coffee and even cookie flavored. Haha. I like how the calories from not using the creamer offset my protein powder calories.