Looking for Fasting Buddies

Options
I am brand new to MFP, I am looking for a 3 day fasting buddy. 3 days is a heathy amount of time to fast and will help us defete bloat and cravings.

Replies

• kspring82
    Options
    I'd like to join you. Unfortunately today is my husband's birthday and we have a family lunch scheduled for tomorrow. But, I can totally do Mon - Wed!
    If that doesn't work for you, it's cool. I'll cheer you on nonetheless and maybe you can do the same?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Am I to assume that by 3 day fast you mean you won't be eating much (probably 1,000 calories or less) or nothing at all? If so... why? There is no scientific benefits to that, it is a form of ED or at least a step in that direction and if you really want to lose weight, just log the food you eat in MFP after setting your goals (REALISTIC goals. Don't set 2 lbs/week when you only have 10 lbs to lose). If its a cleanse you're looking for, just eat nutritious foods (veggies, meats, dairy etc) and some fiber food and let the nature do its course.

Please don't go into a trap of starving yourself. I, along with many, have tried that. All it does is slow your matabolism and you either develop an Eating Disorder (I thankfully didn't) or fail and fall off the track for months or years and endup gaining a bunch of weight (this I did).

Good luck.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I for years lived eating one meal every other day and basically anything I wanted the other days and it was a natural act, I did it without thinking, some days I would forget to eat, then someone told me it looked like I was developing an eating disorder so I visited the doctor. he advised I eat 3 meals a day with healthy snacks in between, so my total caloric intake would be about 2000 a day, I did this and gained 21lb in 3 weeks, the doctors said I was doing something wrong but all I did was log a 2000 calorie diet.

Now suddenly 5:2 diet is promoted because a doctor tested it, all I can say is if it works for you do it but personally I cannot eat 3 meals a day and be in a healthy weight range, I have to live by fasting every other day.
  • TwoThirdsSkinny
    Options
    I would like to join you !
    I can start tomorrow :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I for years lived eating one meal every other day and basically anything I wanted the other days and it was a natural act, I did it without thinking, some days I would forget to eat, then someone told me it looked like I was developing an eating disorder so I visited the doctor. he advised I eat 3 meals a day with healthy snacks in between, so my total caloric intake would be about 2000 a day, I did this and gained 21lb in 3 weeks, the doctors said I was doing something wrong but all I did was log a 2000 calorie diet.

Now suddenly 5:2 diet is promoted because a doctor tested it, all I can say is if it works for you do it but personally I cannot eat 3 meals a day and be in a healthy weight range, I have to live by fasting every other day.

Eating 1 meal a day and not eating at all are compeltely different things. During Ramadan I eat only 1 meal a day and throughout the year often times I do that too. However not eating for 3 days or eating very little calories is a completely different ballgame.

Of course I am assuming that starvation via lack of food or little calories is what this thread is being referred to.
  • WaterAllsDay
    Options
    Three day water fast show no harm to your body or metobolism in studies, I would not do 40 days like many people, but 3 days here and there has shown no ill effects.

I have added you interested folks, anyone else?
  • TwoThirdsSkinny
    Options
    Three day water fast show no harm to your body or metobolism in studies, I would not do 40 days like many people, but 3 days here and there has shown no ill effects.

I have added you interested folks, anyone else?

How was the first day? :)
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Am I to assume that by 3 day fast you mean you won't be eating much (probably 1,000 calories or less) or nothing at all? If so... why? There is no scientific benefits to that, it is a form of ED or at least a step in that direction and if you really want to lose weight, just log the food you eat in MFP after setting your goals (REALISTIC goals. Don't set 2 lbs/week when you only have 10 lbs to lose). If its a cleanse you're looking for, just eat nutritious foods (veggies, meats, dairy etc) and some fiber food and let the nature do its course.

Please don't go into a trap of starving yourself. I, along with many, have tried that. All it does is slow your matabolism and you either develop an Eating Disorder (I thankfully didn't) or fail and fall off the track for months or years and endup gaining a bunch of weight (this I did).

Good luck.

Sorry, but wrong. Fasting and anorexia are two very different things.

My only issue with 3 day fasts is that it's pretty extreme and the health benefits seem short lived, so you need to do it every couple of months. I can only hack 5:2 lol

P.s. there are some fasting groups, where you might get better support. Talking about fasting on the main boards is like gasoline and matches. Even some of the 16:8 people wig out about it.
  • kspring82
    Options
    looking forward to naturally detoxing and cleansing starting tomorrow!

how are you two doing? good day? :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options