What am I doing wrong

Options
So discouraged! I have meticulously entered in my daily food intake and exercise for a week and weighed myself today. I have not lost a single pound. I am exercising more and eating more than prior to joining MFP. My daily caloric intake is a little under what is suggested to lose 1.5 pounds a week.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    New exercise or increased intensity can cause water retention which will mask the weight loss. Give it a couple weeks, if you are sure you are doing everything else right. Are you using a food scale to weigh foods? Are the entries you chose in the data base accurate? These are the two main areas of logging error. It's a long process, patience is extremely important.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can't expect to see a change on the scale from week to week. New ecercise tends to make you retain water. If you are overweight, and now eat more than you used to, my bet is that you're eating more than you think. Are you weighing everything and using accurate entries?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Patience. It's only been a week and you started exercising which is known to cause water retention that can mask fat loss on the scale.

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Likely either under-estimating food intake, or over estimating calories burned on exercise. Also, ^read that graphic. Maybe try taking body measurements instead of using a scale.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, don't give up. It will happen. :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

While it is possible you are under-estimating your calories eaten (there are some common pitfalls to watch out for while logging on MFP), I'd say water retention is a likely culprit especially since you mentioned you are exercising more.

Now about those pitfalls:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's only been 1 week, be more patient
  • kkpps
    kkpps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try not to feel too discouraged. I have been on the journey for 5 weeks and today I was also a bit despondent that for the last two weeks I have not moved a single ounce, despite me sticking to the food count religiously. I have learned a lot today from others about factors that can affect your results (such as water retention, increase in exercise etc) and also I am not going to get too hung up about the scales. I can tell generally by other factors such as my clothes if things are working. Hang in there B)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It takes time, for sure.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It might just take more time before you see results on the scale. I didn't start seeing the scale change until a few weeks into my journey. Keep track of how your body is changing visibly or how your clothes are fitting now! If all else fails, try tweaking how much youre eating or track more closely. You might be eating more than you think!
  • soundjunkie
    soundjunkie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    OMG. Thanks so much for the quick responses! I’ve learned a few things already.
    1. Im impatient - no big shock
    2. I am exercising more and feel better about myself. A plus.
    3. I am meticulous about weighing and measuring my food. It will pay off.
    4. I bought a new digital scale to track my weight. I didn’t calibrate the scale. I just did and it now reads a .8 pound weight loss for my first week! It’s half what I expected but it’s a start.
    5. PATIENCE is my new mantra. I didn’t gain this weight overnight. It isn’t coming off overnight.

Thanks again all. Sorry for getting all frustrated. We are in this for the long haul. I appreciate your help.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    4. I bought a new digital scale to track my weight. I didn’t calibrate the scale. I just did and it now reads a .8 pound weight loss for my first week! It’s half what I expected but it’s a start.
    5. PATIENCE is my new mantra. I didn’t gain this weight overnight. It isn’t coming off overnight.

Thanks again all. Sorry for getting all frustrated. We are in this for the long haul. I appreciate your help.

Yay! I'm so glad that you listened and got a positive take away! A great attitude will help significantly along the way. Good for you. FYI, many of us battle with the impatience!
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options

It's a process! Also I would recommend buying a food scale. And as far as weighing yourself, I find the best time to be before you've eaten in the morning. Weighing yourself at the end of the day isn't accurate and you the scale can read 5 pounds heavier than you actually are. Good luck!