Gained a pound in 2 weeks despite changes?

Hi, I’m feeling super disappointed this morning as I weighed myself and I have gained a pound since I did it 2 weeks ago. That time was the first time I’ve weighed myself in a long time, as I was scared, I knew I’d gained weight, and when I was younger I had a point in my life where I got really obsessed with the scales. So I bit the bullet and bought some, thinking it was the only way I could keep track of whether or not I’m losing weight. I was heavier than ever, which I expected (11 stone 12, and I’m 5’5 so ‘overweight’) but I’ve been running every other day (I used to run a lot and started again before Christmas, then stopped and have got back into this last 3/4 weeks) and eating a much healthier diet, healthier breakfast lunch and dinner and only snacking on fruit and low cal popcorn/crisps (but minimal snacks) also been doing yoga twice a week if not more. I don’t want to restrict myself too much because I don’t want to be on a ‘diet’ that I can’t maintain, I want to change my lifestyle. And yet I’ve gained a pound in 2 weeks doing this. I FELT like I’d lost weight, but maybe this was me tricking myself feeling like that just because I’ve been exercising? I’d love for it to be from muscle gain but I’m pretty sure you can’t gain that much muscle from running.

I’m on anti depressants - sertraline - which are part of the reason I’ve gained weight in the first place, partly because this is a side effect and partly because I’ve been happy and relaxed and so I’ve eaten more of what I want. I went off them for a bit last year as things were going a lot better but after a couple of months I started to get depressed again and lost weight because I was hardly eating. I feel like I’m either happy and fat or depressed and thin, no other option! It’s so frustrating.

I do at least 12,000 steps a day, often a lot more, as I have a dog who I walk twice a day, I have an active job (support work). My total calorie burn per day on Fitbit has been 2700 or more - often over 3000 - every day for around w month now. I know I’ve not been eating over this and I’m certain most days I’ve been well under.

Please, any support, advice, knowledge, would be so appreciated as I am gutted today!!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2018
    Weight loss isn't linear and weight isn't just one number. You need to look for your trend over time. One pound in two weeks doesn't really tell you anything. Track your weight over a couple of months to see how your general trend looks.

Eating "healthy" is neither here nor there as far as weight is concerned. Nutrition is important but calories are what matter for weight.

Fitbit numbers can be over-inflated.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Make small, sustainable changes to get your calories in lower than your calories out and have patience.