Replies

• sixpackabs2
    sixpackabs2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Shortcut to a six-pack...

qanovdbm8udr.jpg

ha ha ... been there done that! need the real 6 pack now

i know its too late but hey you never know!
  • sixpackabs2
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A lot more information is necessary...

But I'll be honest...I had a 6 pack in my 20s and I easily maintained that low of a BF% without issue...it's hard as *kitten* to for me to maintain sub 10% at 43. I'd say there are probably some guys with great genetics that can do it outside of their 20s and 30s, but I'd say they are few and far between if they're natty...

yep... i hear you

i guess thats where the real challenge is...
  • sixpackabs2
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    A bunch of cardio combined with deficit to reduce body fat % below 15%. Planks and other ab daily work to build core muscle. After that you can start on getting a six pack.

got it...
    will come up with a plan soon
    thanks bud
  • sixpackabs2
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I did it at 67. Never had them b4 in my life.

The trick?

Mainly lose weight and more importantly BF but it's not just as simple as that.

I did it by weighing myself and logging my food intake daily. I also did heavy compound weight lifting 3x's/wk and ate a high protein diet (35-40%) to build the strength and muscular definition that was revealed only after sufficient weight & body fat was lost.

It's also important to note that my abs were not revealed until my BF dropped from 16 to 10% over a 1 yr period following my initial 40# weight loss which took 5 months AND that I was eating at maintenance (not at deficit) when I did this.

This turned out to be a recomp period during which I lost 10# of BF and gained 6# of LBM which was not a lot on a per # basis but made all the difference in achieving not only visbile abs but the total lean, defined and muscular body that I have now.

I have been in maintenance for about 15 months now and my weight has remained constant at 158 +/-3 of the entire period, which at 5'8" is a very good weight for me.

I had to make minor adjustments in my maintenance cals over time which dropped from 2000 at the start to 1650 now as I lost weight & BF. I still weigh myself and log all my food daily and am still on a high protein diet.

I still lift 2-3 days/wk but not at heavy as before to maintain my strength and muscular definition and am also rowing 10k meters a day to do the same plus also to allow me to eat more w/o gaining any weight back.

This has worked for me but can't say if it would work for anyone else.

PS: I developed all of the core strength and definition needed to achieve visible abs by ONLY doing compound body lifts (DL, SQT, OHP & BP) and pushups, pullups snd dips. No ab specific exercises were necessary.

wow! that sounds incredible!
    and also sounds un-achievable for me in the given time frame
    but thanks for your post and encouragement....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    At 160 pounds at almost 6 feet- it sounds like you have very little muscle- but upside not a tremendous amount of body fat- I'd definitely get on a lifting program stat.
    I'm 5'8" and 165 pounds and I have a "power belly"- where I can see outer abs despite not being anywhere near "lean".

Lift- lift lift.
  • sixpackabs2
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    At 160 pounds at almost 6 feet- it sounds like you have very little muscle- but upside not a tremendous amount of body fat- I'd definitely get on a lifting program stat.
    I'm 5'8" and 165 pounds and I have a "power belly"- where I can see outer abs despite not being anywhere near "lean".

Lift- lift lift.

yes you are right. i have no muscle and that scares me
    i have never been a lifter all my life... but i guess got to begin some day!
    k will start my lifting regime tomorrow...
    thanks a ton!
  • sixpackabs2
    Options
    1. What do you weigh
    2. what is your current BF%
    3. What is your current training plan

1. 160lbs
    2. not sure maybe 18-20%
    3. no plan...
    started a week ago
    30 minutes treadmill
    15 minutes mild weights
    10 minutes stretching including abs

i understand my goal is unrealistic but i would like to give it a shot nevertheless...

You may want to help yourself along by following one of these programmes

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Chose one that suits your fitness level, and time and equipment available.

Any of the beginner ones will give you more consistent results that what you will get doing what you are doing now.

Focus on form to begin with.

Look at 3x a week on non consecutive days, cardio, if you wish, on alternate days, and at least one rest day- you will need it. Your results will be slower than when you were 20, but still achievable over time.

Cheers, h.

If you don't have the pack by your birthday, get an abs spray tan :)

that is really helpful...
    thank you very much for the link and all the support

ha ha abs spray tan sounds good!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing 49 and I "could" rip down to a well defined 6 pack in less than two months if it was my goal. Keep in mind I have been a athlete all my life, I lift heavy, my bf% is currently below 18% and I start showing around 16%.

It really comes down to just lower body fat% and when specifically your body reveals as well as curent muscle mass. Most men show relatively well around 12%
  • sixpackabs2
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm nearing 49 and I "could" rip down to a well defined 6 pack in less than two months if it was my goal. Keep in mind I have been a athlete all my life, I lift heavy, my bf% is currently below 18% and I start showing around 16%.

It really comes down to just lower body fat% and when specifically your body reveals as well as curent muscle mass. Most men show relatively well around 12%

thanks! that's encouraging!
    yes i agree if your mind is set then it can be achieved..
    will definitely push harder
    would you mind sharing some lifts that you do that can help me as well
    thanks again!
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

The trick?

I did it by weighing myself and logging my food intake daily. I also did heavy compound weight lifting 3x's/wk and ate a high protein diet (35-40%) to build the strength and muscular definition that was revealed only after sufficient weight & body fat was lost.

It's also important to note that my abs were not revealed until my BF dropped from 16 to 10% over a 1 yr period following my initial 40# weight loss which took 5 months AND that I was eating at maintenance (not at deficit) when I did this.

This turned out to be a recomp period during which I lost 10# of BF and gained 6# of LBM which was not a lot on a per # basis but made all the difference in achieving not only visbile abs but the total lean, defined and muscular body that I have now.

I have been in maintenance for about 15 months now and my weight has remained constant at 158 +/-3 of the entire period, which at 5'8" is a very good weight for me.

I had to make minor adjustments in my maintenance cals over time which dropped from 2000 at the start to 1650 now as I lost weight & BF. I still weigh myself and log all my food daily and am still on a high protein diet.

I still lift 2-3 days/wk but not at heavy as before to maintain my strength and muscular definition and am also rowing 10k meters a day to do the same plus also to allow me to eat more w/o gaining any weight back.

PS: I developed all of the core strength and definition needed to achieve visible abs by ONLY doing compound body lifts (DL, SQT, OHP & BP) and pushups, pullups snd dips. No ab specific exercises were necessary.

The trick?

The trick?

Turned 65 in January and that is my training schedule as well and hope to achieve the same. Congrats! Not sure it will be accomplished in 2018, but hoping.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

thanks! that's encouraging!
    yes i agree if your mind is set then it can be achieved..
    will definitely push harder
    would you mind sharing some lifts that you do that can help me as well
    thanks again!

I only squat, bench, deadlift, OHP 99% of the year. All four lifts give some abs work some more than others yet are more specific to powerlifting. Though a novice really doesn't need ab specific work at all.

When I taper for a meet a couple weeks out, I will add some chin ups in place of deads to give some more volume for back/abs with less fatigue so I peak.

• sixpackabs2
    Options
    You ain't got nothing but time! Don't put a date on it, just do it!

thank you thank you thank you for all the encouragement!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    in my experience, set your goal weight, create a deficit to get to that goal weight, get to that goal weight ... .then discover you are about 5kg away from seeing them.

Abs, especially on the untrained are a little buit further away than you think they are going to be. ..... normally the 1st 4 pop but then you get that long drawn out stage of the lower abs hiding .... your deltoids suddenly become defined, your obliques look chiselled, your head becomes too small for the rest of your body, you discover ribs between your lats and pecs

Then you think, crap I dont have enough muscle anywhere on my body to pull off a full 6pack ... so you reverse the cut and start to put on weight again

• sixpackabs2
    Options
    Get real close to a fence.

pk0or2ikzivh.png

haha haha!
    will try that as a last resort...