Stretching

Options
I've been working out off and on since I was about 10 years old and was always told that you need to stretch before you workout. Whether it was sports or the gym, I've always stretched out before doing any strenuous physical activity. I've heard lately that the old static stretching is not good for our bodies and that the new movement is towards dynamic stretching.

Now I'm curious if there's anyone out there like me who has switched from static stretching to dynamic stretching and felt a difference? Do you get more out of stretching before and/or after a workout? Have you noticed any other benefits or detriments to dynamic stretching?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a controversial topic, you may find this an interesting read (unfortunately the footnotes are not appended to the article)

https://trainingpeaks.com/blog/the-benefits-of-static-stretching-before-and-after-exercise/
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    This topic, like so many others, can be more complicated than it needs to be. My personal policy: never stretch cold muscles and always stretch after a workout.

If I'm particularly sore from a previous workout I'll warm up a bit first, then stretch, then proceed. I like to stretch so doing so after each workout is a habit for me.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Stretching definitely gets to be a hot topic for some reason. You really have three forms of stretching, static, active, dynamic. Static is more of your holding a stretch for 30 seconds to help elicit the golgi tendons to allow the muscle to stretch essentially. Active stretching is similar but you move through a range of motion for shorter holds and repeat for a few sets. Can be something like 10-stretches for 2 sec holds or even 5 stretched for 5 sec holds, rinse and repeat until you feel more mobile in that muscle group. Dynamic stretching involves moving through a full range of motion.

NASM will typically recommend that pre-workout you perform active stretching and post-work static stretching. Now certain individual and workout can also begin with a more dynamic routine as well. Stretching is very specific to the individual in most cases. Some folks may have a muscle that just demands some static-stretching prior to a workout because they are very tight in a certain area. Now the general comment is that static-stretching diminishes performance, which is mostly true, however; it can be regained through a dynamic movement or warm-up sets. In some instance, the performance loss gets over-blown at times. Others can wake-up, do a dynamic workout and be fine, it just really depends on the person.

Stretching "cold" muscles... I kind of feel like that's an old myth that many cling to. If you wake-up to workout and you have very tight hip flexors, for instance, walking or riding a bike for 10-min's or so isn't going to help all that much because your hip flexors are involved in the general movement of walking.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I would never ever static stretch. A little dynamic warm up for me. I do some maintenance with a lacrosse ball when needed. Or the handle of the kettlebell/myofascial release.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I warm up by doing the movement at much lower intensity and work up to my training intensity. I don’t stretch before. I do walk about 10minutes to get to gym if that counts also.

For my 355 set on squats today I did 10@45, 10@135, 5@225, 3@275, 1@305, 1@330, 5x3@355. I was “warm” after the set at 135 but not ready to start moving heavy until I worked up to it with progressively heavier intensity. I have not pulled a muscle or had any mobility issues since starting this type of warmup.

After workouts I normally sit in sauna for 10minutes twice with short break listening to Pink Floyd. Then I static stretch or foam roll any part of body that is extra sore. I think music is actually important to calm your mind but it might be a bit *kitten* for some.