Dinner at a friend's house.

Options
Katimira
Katimira Posts: 50 Member
edited February 2018 in Motivation and Support

I really struggle to stay within calories when at friends' houses. This wouldn't be an issue if it happened only once a week, but I get invited or host about 2-4 times a week.

I find it trickier than eating out at restaurants. At a restaurant, you order your food and get what you ordered (well... most of the time). At people's places, there's always surprises - a delightful appetizer; a special cocktail; a cheese course before dessert; a homemade dessert, and a bottomless wine glass!

I find it nearly impossible to turn down any of it (especially dessert), first because I love food and second because someone made it and I would feel rude not eating something my friends made.

Does anyone have any tips on how to handle dinner at friends places? I saw a registered dietician when I started all of this and she insisted I keep my normal social schedule and learn to stick to my meal plan within that. She's offered a few helpful tips (eat protein before going, drink lots of water). But even with that, I find it hard to turn down food.

It should also be noted that while I'm trying to lose the pounds I put on during an illness, I am not overweight. As a result, my friends struggle to understand my motivation.

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. People are being generous and don't entirely understand why you're saying no. If you're close enough with your friends that you hang out with them 2-4 times a week, I would just be honest with them. And if they won't get it, take the first bite when offered, but say no to others. Another solution is to do extra cardio to create a bigger calorie deficit. I do a lot of cardio on the weekends so I can drink and nibble.

If it's a self control thing - I'm not sure how to help you there. Just think of your end goal and what's more important. The immediate satisfaction or long term satisfaction.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When it comes to dessert... I'd love too but I am too stuffed... that xxx was so delicious....
  • Katimira
    Options
    The dinners are not always with the same groups. I have two group of friends - people from work and then old time friends.

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Try to take much smaller portions. If they insist, just say you're full, and depending on the relationship take your bit home (this shows you aren't avoiding out of not liking, and you can either eat sone later or dump it privately) . At my house I'm practically begging people to take stuff home, lol, it's how I was raised. Eat lighter that day, and maybe the day before/after.
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to dinner with friends/at a friend's house, I do my best to fast through the day. I don't always succeed though. Like brittyn3 said, if you feel comfortable, just explain you're watching what you eat so they understand/aren't offended.

My weakness is alcohol...I tend to fill up on that rather than the food. I can't eat sweets after drinking either.
  • Katimira
    Options
    sarahjen92 wrote: »

My weakness is alcohol...I tend to fill up on that rather than the food. I can't eat sweets after drinking either.

Alcohol is a tough one for me too. Tonight, I am hoping to stick to one glass of wine. I have a lot of work to do tomorrow so I'm going to use that as motivation to stick to one. But then I always want to try all the bottles they open. Maybe I could ask for taster portions!

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well, your friends respect you don’t they? So eat a little of everything offered, when finished say something like “that was so good!”, put your napkin down next to the plate and get yourself a cup of something to drink. Maybe tea? Decaf? If you’re pressured to eat just one more thing, smile and decline politely. That’s it.
  • Katimira
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I did it! Managed to have dinner and still finish under my calorie goal. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll keep practicing it at every dinner.