Do you work out when on vacation ?

Options
I'll be going on vacation on Thursday until Sunday. I will have a gym at the hotel but my spouse is SUPER lazy. I've been doing light exercise while watching TV for 2 hours daily. ( one hour morning and one hour in the evening ). Would you exercise during those 4 days or not ?
Obviously , I wouldn't be counting calories as in my opinion , it would be a waste to stress on calories when there will be all the glorious food !

Replies

• trinique44
    trinique44 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually walk a lot. I would work out if I had access to a gym though, it would really help if you're planning on indulging on the glorious food (so you should). This way you won't gain, if any, weight.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Well I went to Dubai for 2 weeks, and I didn't go to the gym once. I did eat at maintenance though, so I didn't end up gaining weight. Normally when I travel I don't go to the gym, but I do a lot of waking, and I don't count calories I know now how to eyeball food. What I eat I tend to burn it during walking a lot, so that's how I stayed at maintenance.

Good luck!! Enjoy the gym.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    When I vacation I tend to walk a lot more than normal since I have a desk job. I also do my best to get in some workouts.

I was in Europe over Summer. I did 15-30 minutes of mat work every morning before my family got up and walked several miles a day. I didn’t get my usual workouts but I kept my TDEE up. I also did not track at all and just enjoyed the trip.

I have two trips coming up and if my knee is healed (recent injury) I definitely plan on being active. I’m Catalina it will mostly be yoga on the beach and walking and then when my husband and I go to Vegas I will use the hotel gym in addition to our walking around.
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on one vacation the last 7 months since I’ve gotten into fitness and I did work out a little bit at the hotel gym. I was limited with equipment though.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I typically get up early and walk for an hour, then bring hubs some coffee and go about our day. The only time I use the hotel gym is if they have some interesting class (like water aerobics in Mexico) or if it’s pouring rain.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I usually take weekend trips with the family and they involve tons of walking (amusement parks, museums, hiking), so I don't add any workouts. If I were going on a more relaxing and eating type vacation, or going away for more than a couple of days, I would for sure work out.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Depends on the vacation. If it's otherwise a lot of driving/sitting, I try to find someplace local to go for a run if the weather's nice. You can google "best running trails" in the city and get some good suggestions. In Cincinnati I went for a run on the bridges and along the river, it was really cool. And that way it's both a tourist activity and exercise.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I try to be active on trips. When we went on our honeymoon, I got up early most mornings and visited the resort's gym while hubby slept. And then we did a lot of walking and hiking most days.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I always lift or run on vacation.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. I went away to visit family smack dab in the middle of my c25k. I found a place with an indoor track and pool and went there on my own. It was nice for some alone time. I also used their stupid elliptical. I hated it but was glad I did as my eating was not my usual. Best of luck.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I work out to go on vacation. We do a lot of hiking and walking. I rarely do a formal workout.
    I do try to eat reasonably.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I try. Not always possible with two kids who hate walking though, but if the hotel has a gym, I usually do (I got crazy if I sit all day).
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I would like to, but again, depends on my company...but if your hubby likes to sleep in , you can go in the morning:)
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot when we're on vacation. If you have a smart phone and a YouTube account you could do some workouts.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I do exercise while on vacation - some of my most memorable runs and walks were connected to exploring a new town or city. If I have access to a weight room and the spare time, I do that, too.

However, the key is that all of it is enjoyable and none of it is forced. Vacation is meant to be a good use of free time, so if you aren’t enjoying your exercise or it’s causing stress due to missing out on other activities or quality time, I would consider the trade-offs accordingly.

When I was on my cruise last month, I ran the track on the upper deck almost every morning. So many pretty sunrises to see over the ocean that I wouldn’t have experienced otherwise! Meanwhile, my husband laid in bed reading the morning news - reasonable trade-off for both of us!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I try to stay active while on vacation, although typically I'm good with food and exercise the first few days and then gradually start falling in love with hedonism. I like trying out different gyms. Last one had a Jacob's Ladder that was killer.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    RunRun72 wrote: »
    I'll be going on vacation on Thursday until Sunday. I will have a gym at the hotel but my spouse is SUPER lazy. I've been doing light exercise while watching TV for 2 hours daily. ( one hour morning and one hour in the evening ). Would you exercise during those 4 days or not ?
    Obviously , I wouldn't be counting calories as in my opinion , it would be a waste to stress on calories when there will be all the glorious food !

I swim, so when I travel, I go to places that have access to a good pool and hot tub. Be it at the YMCA or community pool in a town, or at a hotel with a decent pool/jaccuzzi.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Not intentionally, but I walk a lot and am typically much more active on vacation. My last trip to Boston, I walked 23 miles in two days.