Chemotherapy and dieting?

Options
124»

Replies

• The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ugh

Cancer cells are actively growing, so they do take up carbs....as does every cell in your body. Not eating carbs/sugar is not going to slow or kill cancer cells.

Your blood is strictly limited to a pH range on 7.35-7.45. You get really sick and can die if it goes too far out of range. Your body would actively correct your blood pH if you made it more alkaline. That said, different parts of your digestive tract has a different pH. Your stomach is extremely acidic, and you have buffers in your small intestine to neutralize that acid to prevent ulcers. Alkaline food/water is bunk.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    I'm a two-time cancer survivor (brain and ovarian). Your MD is probably concerned about the weight you'll lose once you begin your treatment. The fact is that everyone is different. Depending on the type of treatment and your reaction, you may lose weight, maintain or gain.

For example, for my brain cancer, I had surgery, took Cytoxan and Prednisone (plus some other drugs because I was still fertile). I was originally supposed to have an IV drip for the Cytoxan but because of my fertility and the successful surgery, they switched to PO. But they didn't change the Prednisone dose accordingly so I ended up gaining weight. With the ovarian cancer, my medications were appropriate and I was obsessive about my nutritional content so I maintained. But a friend in one of my support groups lost half her body weight with her treatment.

Basically, I'm just trying to illustrate that you never know how the treatment is going to impact you so it's pointless to prepare for it. The best thing you can do is follow the nutritionist's advice. Did your Oncologist send you to an oncology-certified nutritionist yet?

I’m so sorry you went through all of that and no she hasn’t even mentioned it
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    The_Ta wrote: »
    Write down questions for your doctors when you think of them. Bring in your notes when you have appointments. Try to write down their answers, and some may let you record their reply. You might also be able to ask the nurse questions too. Do not “worry” that you are bothering/annoying the medical staff. Patient education is essential but often skipped.

Cancer sucks in so many ways.

Yeah I should she just springs so much on me then leaves. Like she told me that I had some cancer light up in my abdomen and pelvis but when I got online and opened my orders and my results it said it was seen in my chest abdomen pelvis and muscular skeletal system none of which she told me. When I had my first biopsy done she called and said it came back undecided but I got on and read it came back undetermined but reactive so she doesn’t tell me everything which bothers me so much
  • rickiimarieee
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JulieMar50 wrote: »
    My mom is fighting stage 4 lymphoma as well, with varying degrees of success with different chemo therapy.. She lost 30 lbs in a few weeks and could afford to lose it, but now the doctor is telling her to eat calorie dense foods she likes, Costco muffins, anything she can handle and likes.. not to worry about losing weight now.. Good luck with your battle, cancer sucks! If you want to pm me feel free too :)
    Thank you so so much I’m sorry you and your mother is going through this!
    I've had cancer; I had brain cancer and no chemotherapy. they just put a hole in my head through my nose. my brother died 2 years before I got cancer and his was in the bones of his face. first I want to say you have my prayers. keep a positive mind and a faith in the LORD for your recover. that being said I read most of the replies here and the big thing that was missed is cancer feeds on SUGAR. They shoot sugar in you veins to look for the hot spots in your body and that is the cancer feeding and it shows up like a fire. you most likely have had this test. yea if I were you I would put on the weight but I would eat no more than 30 carbs (120 cal) a day. believe it or not that there are doctors that are putting stage 3 and 4 people on the keto diet and they are seeing great results. I know that you need to gain so if I were you I would eat a good bit of protein and fat and keep the carbs down. BUILD UP YOU HEART MY BROTHER DIED OF HEART FAILURE FROM BEING TO WEEK FROM THE CHEMO.
    Thank you I’m so sorry that you and your family went through this. Yes it’s called a PET scan. They inject radiotracers into your body which gather up at the place there’s the most activity. Cancer cells hold sugar and it would go there and light up brighter
    mywayroche wrote: »
    This is why cannabis should be legalised medically across the world. It is a nightmare, my mum went though the same thing. We managed to increase fat levels in her food without her noticing so that's a thought

Yes I agree 100% it just got approved in my state a day ago actually! A dispensary just opened up I’m hoping my doctor will be okay with giving me a prescription for it.