Tracking food properly and getting back to eating right

Options
nlopez456
nlopez456 Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Im back at this.. again for like 10th time. I just can't be consistent and then during the day when I think I'm doing well and I track my food I end up messing it all up somehow and over eat..... How do you get used to the change of portion size? I am literally always hungry.. And for a while I did okay losing weight (I went from 263 to 207 and now I'm back to 222) and then stopped tracking and working out (depression and school) and now I want to just get back to eating healthy bc I gained back 15 lbs. I mean I don't mind if I don't really lose any weight right now but I just need to get this eating thing under control again. When I was pretty good at it I didn't use a food scale and more so just.. guessed

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, use it, and start learning calories. If you're always hungry you either have to a.)figure out whether you're really hungry or 'think' you're hungry (i.e., actually craving water, wanting to eat just for the sake of eating or feeling deprived), b.)examine if your deficit is too aggressive and/or c.)figure out what keeps you satisfied (it differs for everyone, it's either going to be proteins, carbs or fats). It takes time but eventually you'll be able to figure out how and what to eat for your calorie allowance.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What if I told you that everything you think you know, could be wrong? To succeed in weight management, you have to push the right buttons, in the right sequence, applying the correct pressure for a precise duration. You have to treat yourself well - be firm and strict, as well as flexible and kind.

There is no "right" way to eat. A healthy diet is balanced and varied, enough of everything you need every day, and not too much of anything over time. No foods are healthy or unhealthy, it's about amounts and frequency.

Plan your meals. Prelog a whole day, part of the day, or several days, in your food diary. Get a food scale, and use it. Eat food you like.

Figure out if you're literally hungry, or just figuratively. Are you hitting your calore goal? Are your meals balanced and varied? If so, any hunger you feel, is normal. Even with the most perfectly balanced diet, you will still have cravings. This is normal too.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    regarding portion size ... vegetables are your friends !

When I started logging and realized that my plate of fries has become a small childs handful next to a smaller bit of meat I cried .... I soon discovered though that by the time you have added 100g brocolli, 50g carrots, spinach, rocket, onion, parsnip, asparagus, mushrooms to the plate, you have a MASSIVE plate of food that takes a forever to eat and barely uses up you calorie allowance.

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Try losing a pound biweekly instead of two.