At what BF% do you get sunken cheeks?

I actually have no idea. 10? 8? Less?

Replies

• It isn't going to be the same for everyone. I have very prominent cheekbones and I am bulking (15-16% bf) and I still have very prominent cheek bones. Everyone is different.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I saw a picture of a little child who was a victim of a famine in Africa. His little body was all wasted away, you could see all his bones, yet he still had chubby cheeks. I really hope the poor little boy recovered okay and is happy and healthy now.

Anyway, my point is that you can't say, because people's bodies store fat differently. Some people lose from the extremities first, others from the extremities last. Usually people lose fat from the face fairly early on. Plus as the above poster said, the shape and size of your cheekbones makes a difference. And some, like the little boy I just mentioned, maybe lose fat from their cheeks last of all.

A more pertinent question would be why you would want sunken cheeks in the first place....? Or are you concerned about someone you think has lost too much weight because their cheeks look sunken in...?
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    I agree everyone is different. I'm pretty sure I could bone thin and still not have sunken cheeks. I have very prominent cheekbones, but my face is heart shaped, so I don't get hollows around that area. My husband is super thin (although he's currently bulking up) and he doesn't have hollows either. He has a very long face without much of a jawbone, so again, that hollow isn't created. Yet my dad has hollows, even though he's heavier than my husband. It all depends on your face shape.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I'm near my goal with 26 % bf and my face is very thin so I agree that it's all genetics because my face was still pretty thin at my highest weight of 188. I'm 122 now.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    genetics.

even when a little over weight, i have that wonderful guy V the ladies love. other guys have to lean out to get it. my brother has calves the size of footballs. some girls have that line down the middle of their back without any type of lifting or anything. some girls have a more pronounced collar bone.

everyone is different. i'm sure you have many lovely qualities that others would be envious of.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    genetics.

even when a little over weight, i have that wonderful guy V the ladies love. other guys have to lean out to get it. my brother has calves the size of footballs. some girls have that line down the middle of their back without any type of lifting or anything. some girls have a more pronounced collar bone.

everyone is different. i'm sure you have many lovely qualities that others would be envious of.

Capt Apollo, that last line is the one of the sweetest things I've read here on the forums. :heart:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Bone structure is what determines that. I have high cheekbones. My cheeks were "sunken" at 300+ lbs.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    4.279%
  • Capt_Apollo
    genetics.

Capt Apollo, that last line is the one of the sweetest things I've read here on the forums. :heart:

please don't accuse me of being nice. i don't want anymore friend requests.
  • Capt_Apollo
    after reviewing OP's previous posts.... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON.
  • I am talking about something like this.
    http://www.hellestrebl.co.uk/images/slides/1.jpg
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I think I had it around 14%. No thigh gap, though. :o)
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Down to your face, it may never come, thats why there are some Super lean guys at the gym training everyday, Trying to get some Handsome 'Nordic' features but they still have the same face even they are ripped!

Personally My Jawline/cheeks change just before I'm even shirt off Lean, blurry four pack stage. When i'm near 10% i'm very sunken.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    genetics.

please don't accuse me of being nice. i don't want anymore friend requests.

That made me LOL!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    after reviewing OP's previous posts.... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON.

yeah, IMO some very unhealthy attitudes towards food and weight loss

OP maybe you should talk to a doctor