Gym routine?

Options
Hi everyone - Ive been going to the gym for a couple of months and I got myself into a routine,but I then went on holiday so didnt go to the gym or do any working out for 2 weeks.I went back for the first (and second) time this week,and i find my self just floating around using whatever machine i come across. Can anyone suggest a routine? I enjoy strength more than cardio...but only the machines,i have never lifted a weight in my life,so i dont wanna look like i total idiot not knowing what im doing! Any suggestions would be great thanks :)

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing when I first started lifting. What helped me was to take a free machine introduction class that one of the trainers gave. Justin not only showed us proper form, etc, but he also gave us an idea of what order to do them in and how often to do them.

If you can find the money, hire a trainer for a few sessions to get you started. My gym has a file on the fitness desk for members to put their workout records in. Every few weeks, my trainer ( Brian) writes a new routine and puts it in my folder. Currently I have 5-7 strength routines to choose from on the days I do not work with him. Later this month I am going to have to stop working with Brian for financial reasons, but I know I'll be OK because I have the routines he wrote for me, and most of them can be adjusted easily as I improve.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ...but only the machines,i have never lifted a weight in my life,so i dont wanna look like i total idiot not knowing what im doing! Any suggestions would be great thanks :)

If you always avoid the free weights, you'll always be in this situation. Noone was born knowing what to do with them, at some point we've all had to take the plunge, and be the beginner until we have learnt. I'd do some research on free weight routines, books, online articles, videos etc.. and get stuck in.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Learn about lifting weights
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading a book called Strong Curves. It is a great book and has everything you need in it.