Beets anyone??

Options
mombiejohnston
mombiejohnston Posts: 121 Member
Hello! So, I really love the taste of beets. I have always loved canned picked beets, and now I love store bought beet chips. I am trying my best to eat plant based and make everything myself so I can try to “eat clean.” I have asked a vegan friend of mine for her best beet preparation, and she doesn’t like beets! I made an oven roasted beet recipe I found online and it scorched! I really really want to buy an prepare my own beet snacks but I need some advice on how to go about that for something tasty. I appreciate any advice from any fellow beet eaters :)!

Replies

• WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    That's the second time today I've thought about beets. Following for some tips as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    We do beets with rosemary, salt, olive oil, slow roasted. We also stir fry the greens. YUM.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I like them grated in salad. Or roasted. Or boiled and blended up in to yoghurty dip.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I
    That's the second time today I've thought about beets. Following for some tips as well.

And I had them last night for dinner and today for lunch. I usually just coat them in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them. They are great on salads. Also make sure and save the greens. They are delicious sauteed in garlic and olive oil or use them in any recipe that calls for greens. I use them in place of Swiss chard often.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I love beets! My Whole Foods carries the Love Beets brand which are very yummy. I also like to roast them with a little olive oil and salt.

Last summer I received fresh beets in my CSA and I ate some of them raw and that was kind of a bad idea (cramping). Also--realize that eating lots of beets may discolor your urine--it can be kind of alarming...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I love beets! My Whole Foods carries the Love Beets brand which are very yummy. I also like to roast them with a little olive oil and salt.

Last summer I received fresh beets in my CSA and I ate some of them raw and that was kind of a bad idea (cramping). Also--realize that eating lots of beets may discolor your urine--it can be kind of alarming...

and your poop.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I love beets. Roasted is my favorite. Check out Alton Brown's recipe. Simply seasoned with S&P, thyme, and some vinegar.

I'm going to start playing with partially dehydrating then roasting them to concentrate the flavor a bit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat beets raw, just cut into sticks. If you like beets and dislike the strong red color on everything, try other varieties like white, yellow and striped.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love roasted beets (red and yellow) on a mesclun salad with dried cranberries, walnuts, goat cheese crumbles, and some kind of fruity balsamic vinaigrette (black currant, etc.)

I also love borscht with lots of dill and 0% greek yogurt in place of the sour cream.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    These!
    https://minimalistbaker.com/baked-rosemary-beet-chips/

I also love cooking them with skin on in the instant pot, when done the skins just slide off, then I chop them up and throw them into a salad with red onion, goat cheese and dressing made with a bit of OJ concentrate.

I love beet kvass too, I have a half gallon burbling away on my counter right now :)
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a special love for Borscht. While I usually include beef and pork, it's also very good as a vegetarian or vegan recipe. Give it a go, just sprinkle a little fresh dill on top of whatever you decide to do.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I roast my beets with a little olive oil in tin foil. I will also put shredded raw beets in my salad.....so delicious!!! I love beet salad, borscht, pickled beets!! To make your own beet chips you'll have to slice thin, drizzle with olive oil (or oil of choice) and roast in oven low and slow. Season right after they come out of the oven.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Russian here! Beets are basically #lyfe.

In all seriousness. Sam's Club sells them pre-cooked whole so you don't have to spend time boiling them (best for this). Boiling beets makes your house smell awful and makes a MESS.
    I like to grate mine into a salad. Add In a little bit of oil, golden raisins, walnuts.... or just with ranch!
    You can cube them (or keep them grated) and add them to soup. Again, strongly recommend cooking them before cooking WITH them. Beets, potatoes, some cabbage, carrots, onions, a couple of bay leaves and some dill will totally hit the spot. Add in sour cream and it's borsht!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    You can boil them, dice them, and toss them with salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. I do a potato-beet salad: boil 3 peeled and diced beets for about an 40 minutes (until soft). If boiling whole, give it longer. In another pot, boil 4 peeled diced potatoes for 20 minutes. Then add 2 diced carrots and a minced onion to the potatoes and boil another 20 minutes. Drain, cool, combine with beets. Add 2 diced dill pickles and season with salt and pepper.

There's also this: https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/roasted-beet-salad
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Beetroot hummus, I made a batch last week, used it as a dip and as sandwich filling with some falafel.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Borscht :o:o:o<3<3<3
  • karamcrizz
    karamcrizz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love beets in my smoothie with spinach, 1/2 banana and a clementine. Yummy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like them in smoothies too.

More often I have them roasted as a side dish or on a salad. They are good raw too, and definitely good with vinegar.

I never actually follow recipes, but I've made different versions of this (with what else is on hand that fits) a few times. It was a popular picnic dish last summer. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/roasted-beet-salad-kale/

This too: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12900-roasted-beet-and-winter-squash-salad-with-walnuts
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm new to beets. My friend made me some roasted beet & potato soup. Loved it, so I made some too. I'm going to try to make the beet chips. I also save the stalks & sautee them with onion, garlic
  • mombiejohnston
    mombiejohnston Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to EVERYONE who responded!!! Especially the detailed answers of how you actually prepare them, or links to recipes that you have actually used. This is awesome and I am so excited to give it a go again this weekend :smiley: