Out of town guest for 11 days...try to stay at deficit or just maintain?

Options
lightenup2016
lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi--I've been at this weight-loss thing again for the past 5 weeks, and doing well at it so far. I've lost 13 lbs out of the 25 I originally planned to lose (some of that just water). Now, my mom is coming to visit for the next 11 days, and I'm trying to figure out if I should bother trying to keep at my deficit, or move up to maintenance and hope I can even keep within that. My mom is a self-proclaimed "foodie", and we already have one lunch out planned, and an overnight trip for a wedding reception. I just know there will be temptation to overeat. Also, I've been burning most of my exercise calories through walking on my desk treadmill while I work from home. I won't be able to be holed up in my office the whole time she's here, so I'll be getting possibly less activity, too.

I know that I will always need to be able to deal with these situations, and others don't control what or how much I eat, etc. But it's my first real challenge this time around, and PMS is not going to help!!

So really out of curiosity, I'm just wondering what you all would do/have done in this situation? Continue with the deficit? Or treat it like a vacation and just try not to gain too much? Something in between?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, I stick with the deficit. But my deficit is 250 cal/day (0.5lb/wk), i.e. not far from maintenance.

What I lingered over in your post is the temptation to overeat. You are right, all those are conditions that eventually you want to manage without overeating. You can enjoy the hell out of a wedding without overeating. Dealing with my mom for 11 days... that would be a test, speaking personally.

But you are half way to your goal, and that's as good a time for a diet break as any. I think it's really helpful to practice eating at maintenance along the way. If you get less activity, maintenance may end up being really close to your present calories anyway. It's probably a good idea to keep counting/tracking as you have been but try keeping it at maintenance. Good luck!
  • lightenup2016
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    To answer your question, I stick with the deficit. But my deficit is 250 cal/day (0.5lb/wk), i.e. not far from maintenance.

What I lingered over in your post is the temptation to overeat. You are right, all those are conditions that eventually you want to manage without overeating. You can enjoy the hell out of a wedding without overeating. Dealing with my mom for 11 days... that would be a test, speaking personally.

But you are half way to your goal, and that's as good a time for a diet break as any. I think it's really helpful to practice eating at maintenance along the way. If you get less activity, maintenance may end up being really close to your present calories anyway. It's probably a good idea to keep counting/tracking as you have been but try keeping it at maintenance. Good luck!

Well...there is also that!! :smile: But thanks for your post. I had been thinking that a chance to practice maintenance might not be a bad idea.
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    Yes, one thing different for me this time is that I don't have a time goal, or a major event to lose prior to (like a wedding, or half-marathon). So it doesn't bother me too much to think of being set back a little. I just hope it's only a little!

Another thing--I do practice a loose 16/8 or 14/10 IF, so I don't eat breakfast at all besides coffee with a square of chocolate. My mom knows this about me, since it's been the same for several years, and she's fine with that. So I know I can at least spread my calories between lunch and dinner. Hopefully that will help, especially if I'm just doing maintenance.

Thanks!
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My in laws are staying with us for 12 days! My goal is not to spend 1000 of my calories on wine each night! Kidding, kind of...
  • lightenup2016
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! Honestly, today wasn't too bad. I've managed to stay at maintenance, even with eating lunch out (Mediterranean). I pre-logged my day, and gave myself a Quick Add of 800 calories for lunch, which I think ended up just about right. Even had a yummy dinner at home and a couple of treats, like baklava!! Yum...

Hmmm, maybe these extra calories for the next 10 days will be fun! :smiley:
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    abarriere wrote: »
    My in laws are staying with us for 12 days! My goal is not to spend 1000 of my calories on wine each night! Kidding, kind of...

:lol:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    OP here, with an update. My mom was here for 11days, and she went back home yesterday. While she was here, I increased calories by about 500 calories each day, and mostly stuck with my activity level, adding back half of any exercise I did (all walking). We ate lunch out 4 times, and went to a wedding reception while she was here.

I stuck to my calorie goal most days, going over by a few hundred one day (at the wedding reception), AND dealt with an increased appetite due to PMS. The morning my mom got here I weighed in at 146.8, she left yesterday, and this morning I weighed in at 147.0! In between that time I'd gone up to 149.6 and everywhere in between (PMS, increased sodium, etc), but yesterday was a lower calorie day, and it all evened out!

This was my first foray into maintenance, and I'm happy to say it went well and my weight stayed the same! Now back to that deficit and 20 more lbs to go!

I will likely be doing this type of "diet break" anytime we have company staying with us, or we're on vacation ourselves. It was a good first experience with maintenance!

Thanks again for all of your replies!

This is a story that calls for a POSITIVE “WOO!!!” (But not to confuse, I just gave it a “like”)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That Is great news.