I binged...help

Options
So I was doing so good lately with keeping calories at 1,500. I ate lots of fruits and veggies. Steered clear of junk. But today I made a mistake. Idk what got over me. I was offered a strawberries and cream parfait and I knew it was packed with sugar so I declined the offer. Then before you know it, I pulled a “just this one time” thinking I’m rewarding myself for doing so good so far. Well, that turned into chips, snickers ice cream bar, and soda. I messed up. Big time. I feel so bloated and I just hate myself right now. I worked so hard for nothing. I feel like everything I did went to waste now and I’m back at square one. How many of you have had incidents like this and how did you overcome them?

Replies

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    you dont overcome them .... you accept that it happens every now and again ..... if you do remember what you eat and more or less what the calories were, then log them and have a look at your weekly average .... the vast majority of the time it just slows the weight loss trend down a bit and you might reach your goal weight some 4 days later .... the really good binges and you will just hit maintenance for that week ... if you some how managed to go absolutely weapons grade epic binge, you might put on a whole 1lb

Ultimately though, its night on impossible to ruin your work with a single binge

If you want to see some really good stats, there is a youtube clip about some girl that got her stats tested, then ate 10,000kcal in one day and got them measured again ..... the body did a serious job of mitigating that !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cIbIvEGJM

so really dont worry, it was one day, and it probably did you some good

BUT !!!!!!!!

even though I said that, typed it, know it and agree with it .... when I do it, it really screws me up, I feel like I have derailed, I use the scales 7 times a day, I consider punishing myself, I look at ways of not eating the next day, blah blah blah ... and I need people to tell me to stop worrying !

good luck with the mental side of it
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said so far. Take a good look at your calorie goal. If it's too low, you risk failure with your weight loss. Today is a new day. Get back on track and the damage will be minimal. Mistakes are all part of learning. I agree with the above^^^^^what did you learn from this experience? By the way, I'm a 62yr old female and was at 1500 cal a day. I'm 5'11'' and 79kg. It was unsustainable for me. I just upped my cals to around 1800 and life is so much easier. I learned...don't take the hard road, it isn't necessary to get where I want to go. Good luck.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    you dont overcome them .... you accept that it happens every now and again ..... if you do remember what you eat and more or less what the calories were, then log them and have a look at your weekly average .... the vast majority of the time it just slows the weight loss trend down a bit and you might reach your goal weight some 4 days later .... the really good binges and you will just hit maintenance for that week ... if you some how managed to go absolutely weapons grade epic binge, you might put on a whole 1lb

Ultimately though, its night on impossible to ruin your work with a single binge

If you want to see some really good stats, there is a youtube clip about some girl that got her stats tested, then ate 10,000kcal in one day and got them measured again ..... the body did a serious job of mitigating that !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cIbIvEGJM

so really dont worry, it was one day, and it probably did you some good

BUT !!!!!!!!

even though I said that, typed it, know it and agree with it .... when I do it, it really screws me up, I feel like I have derailed, I use the scales 7 times a day, I consider punishing myself, I look at ways of not eating the next day, blah blah blah ... and I need people to tell me to stop worrying !

good luck with the mental side of it

Omg thank you so much for this video I ate 12k calories at the weekend and have been looking at my weekly average trying to get it to average out and beating myself up over it
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've often seen folk say that weight loss is more mental than physical & I completely agree. There is so much more to it than "eating less & moving more" for those of us with certain mindsets/struggles.

I've not succumbed to what you could classify as a binge yet(I say yet because I am fully aware that I've my whole life to have many & I imagine very few folk indeed wouldn't struggle with this at one time or another) but I do have weeks where I want to eat everything in sight & have to resist putting some of my old favourites in the shopping trolley.

I would agree with Tavi, it is so important to treat yourself periodically. You aren't a machine, you are a human & weight loss is HARD. If you feel buying a pack of something isn't a sensible thing for you, maybe try buying individual servings of things you love to eliminate temptation. When I have a hankering for something that just won't quit, I go to the sandwich section in the supermarket. In that area there are always single servings of chocolate, cakes & even biscuits. I buy one of those, easily fit it in my calorie allowance & enjoy every single bite. Then I'm good for weeks!
    Periodically my hubs & I go to a gorgeous cafe for a cake or a fried breakfast too. Even if it doesn't fit into the calorie goal, that's just fine...because it's every 2 months or so. We enjoy that entirely guilt free.

Substitutes are also a massive saving grace for some folk - myself included. For example, I can eat so many more pop chips for my calories than I can eat regular crisps. I can have a snickers bar or I can have a chocolate nakd bar for half the calories & genuinely enjoy all of the taste.

It's such a difficult thing to balance & being overweight all my life, I totally understand the panic of being afraid to go back to old habits in the snap of a finger....but it's a process. Going hard & heavy, berating yourself for a less than ideal day/week/month....what will it accomplish? My guess is misery, self loathing & a knock in confidence that you are capable of losing weight. Log it, move on & know that if you stick at it long enough things WILL improve for you & you WILL find a balance.

Another thing Tavi(she really knows her stuff!) helped me with is seeing that maintainence days are not the enemy. They are days where you can have quite a lot more calories & know that you are doing zero damage. Sure, that day won't contribute to going down, but it won't put you up either & just one maintenance day can save an entire week/fortnight/month of feeling miserable & deprived. I'd say that is a pretty amazing trade off!

MFP is FANTASTIC but I think many of us are guilty of fretting over even small fluctuations in our intake. "Argh I should have had one slice of pizza less, now I'm over!" It's about 200 Cal's. When it takes 3500 to gain a pound...what is 200 Cal's in the grand scheme, really? Sometimes I find a perspective check very very helpful! It's also the reason I work week to week rather than day by day.

These are just some of my experiences to let you know you are far from alone & that working this thing in the long term involves finding a balance that is sustainable for YOU, whatever that may be.

Best, best luck :smile: