Looking for support, getting back on track

Options
I'm back on MFP after being touch and go for a few years. I found out recently that I have deep vein thrombosis for the second time, as well as pulmonary embolisms in my lungs. I also have a torn meniscus in the same leg and arthritis has that knee pretty deteriorated. Doc says I will need surgery to repair it, possibly knee replacement surgery (the thought of which is causing me a lot of stress and anxiety). He said any weight I can lose will help with the pain in my knee as well as the recovery from my eventual surgery. I've started eating better but can't really do much exercise for the moment, and I've lost about 8 lbs in the past two weeks. I always liked the support and sense of community on this site, and would appreciate any advice or words of support you might have. Thanks in advance! Happy to be back. :smile:

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! That stinks about your knee - hopefully whatever happens with the surgery works out for the best. I genuinely believe that losing weight is primarily about diet, so don't stress if you can't do much exercise for now. I'd recommend getting a food scale if you don't have one, reading the stickies if you haven't already, and sticking to it! You can definitely do this.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you're going through so much right now. I really like your username and I hope you take it to heart and feel empowered to make the necessary changes to get yourself on the road to better health. If looking at the big picture is overwhelming, just take things one week or even one day at a time.
    I hear you on feeling anxious over health issues. You could try journaling to get it all out. It's helpful to be able to release those thoughts and feelings.
    Great job on losing 8lbs! Just keep going and you'll at least feel better knowing you're doing all you can and feel proud of yourself for doing so. I know several people who deal with serious medical issues and refuse to lose weight to alleviate them. Their doctors won't operate unless they lose weight and they just won't do it. You're ahead of the pack in that sense. Just keep going. You can do it!