Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
Does anyone use apple cider vinegar? Does it actually help you lose fat or does it just work more as an appetite suppressant? And if you do take it, how often do you drink it/how much?

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Just an interesting thought. I got to yoga class early one day and 5 retirement age ladies were talking about the flu epidemic here.
    They all said they were taking their apple cider vinegar to ward it off. They talked about how much, how often, etc. what I thought
    Was interesting was that each one was adding it to juice. Apple juice, grape juice, orange juice, a mixture of juices. I don't know
    How much ACV protects against flu, but I bet the juice is a good idea.

I highly doubt high sugar fruit juice is going to do jack against the flu, nor is ACV. It's certainly not going to prevent it in any way, shape or form.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If bored, it would be fun to count how many ACV posts people write here with exactly same question. Several per day for sure.
    It does neither, but it's lovely on a salad :)
    That's the answer right there though.

Also, instead of jumping on to ACV fad and cancelling out even the hypothetical effect some people think it has by mixing it into sugary fruit juice, eating that fruit in solid form is way better idea. More filling, more fiber etc.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have some and use a tbsp to soak my whole wheat flour prior to baking bread. It removes the phytic acid. It's the pH, not the ACV.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't see juice, or sugar water, as a good idea but I do eat fruit.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it before for fat loss or appetite suppressant. I'd be wary of things like that, it's just cals in vs cals out I'm afraid - there's no miracle fat loss product.

It does help towards making a lovely cashew cream sauce though!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    sedj241 wrote: »
    In a nutshell, what helps with is making your stomach more acidic, this helps break down food so you can use more of vitamins, minerals, etc from food! If the process you may loose a little weight and your stomach may go down a little, less bloated, but it is not a miracle potion. :)

Source?
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, what helps with is making your stomach more acidic, this helps break down food so you can use more of vitamins, minerals, etc from food! If the process you may loose a little weight and your stomach may go down a little, less bloated, but it is not a miracle potion. :)

You surely don't believe that ACV is more acidic than hydrochloric acid, do you?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I use it in various recipes but I don't take it on its own. I'm sure it is good for you though, its all natural.
    So is arsenic.

Please don't nobody think Mr. AnvilHead is endorsing an arsenic cleanse.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I use it in various recipes but I don't take it on its own. I'm sure it is good for you though, its all natural.
    So is arsenic.

Please don't nobody think Mr. AnvilHead is endorsing an arsenic cleanse.

I guess I should have specified that. One can never assume.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options

If it made you use more nutrients from your food, you'd lose less weight, not more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    For reasons completely unrelated to weight loss, I drank ACV daily for weeks at a time while losing weight. For other weeks at a time while losing weight, I didn't drink it at all. Throughout that whole time period, I tracked my eating and exercise calories, plus daily body weight, as meticulously as possible.

There was zip-zero-nada difference in my weight loss rate when drinking ACV daily vs. when not drinking it at all. None.

I observed no difference in appetite, either.

Now, going into year 3 of maintaining a heathy weight, I still go through periods of drinking ACV daily, and periods of not drinking it at all. It's still consistently, reliably making no difference in weight management.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    There is nothing miraculous about Apple Cider Vinegar, but it may have some small benefits (depending on your individual needs). The most likely benefit is the slowing of digestion, specifically the rate glucose is absorbed into the blood and subsequent insulin response.

There is some, albeit inconclusive, evidence that it may have a small impact on fat oxidation (Kondo T, et al, 2009).

If you don't mind taking it chances are it won't do you any harm in moderation (eg 30ml per day), but it's no magic bullet either.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    Just an interesting thought. I got to yoga class early one day and 5 retirement age ladies were talking about the flu epidemic here.
    They all said they were taking their apple cider vinegar to ward it off. They talked about how much, how often, etc. what I thought
    Was interesting was that each one was adding it to juice. Apple juice, grape juice, orange juice, a mixture of juices. I don't know
    How much ACV protects against flu, but I bet the juice is a good idea.

I would rather think it's luck and good health, or placebo effect. Just believing something works might strengthen your body's defences. I once told a colleague with a really ugly viral wart that putting ginger powder on it will make it go away. It did go away.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My money's on the ACV thing being a marketing ploy to sell more of the stuff at a higher price to people wanting a miracle cure - same as all the other fad diets designed to lighten your wallet rather than slim your waist.