Sloppy Eating after 6 weeks of success

Options
I am nearing the end of my seventh week on MFP. The first 6 weeks were great. I lost nearly every week with I know is surprising. I had an iron will against all the poor food choices I had been indulging in that got me to 236.6. I hit 20 pounds down and I hurt my back (trying to run too soon) and suddenly I had two days where I ate anything and everything in sight. I have been tracking and measuring and making good choices over the past several days however.

Now my difficulty is that I keep wanting to eat all that crappy stuff. Did I just start a chain reaction? I wasn't being too strict with my diet. I allowed myself little treats here and there within my calories. I wasn't starving either.

Is it common to have a periodic week of straying after weeks of healthy tracking and healthy eating?

Replies

• Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    At alcoholic anonymous, they say relapse is part of recovery.
    I think what it means is that a momentary relapse is the perfect occasion to ask yourself why it happened and what you could do in the future to avoid such relapse. It's not easy, i know, but it's worth soul searching a little and put the correct guardrails in place.
    Remind yourself of why you chose to eat correctly for 6 weeks. Remind yourself of your goals and the benefits.
    .. Good luck !
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    At alcoholic anonymous, they say relapse is part of recovery.
    I think what it means is that a momentary relapse is the perfect occasion to ask yourself why it happened and what you could do in the future to avoid such relapse. It's not easy, i know, but it's worth soul searching a little and put the correct guardrails in place.
    Remind yourself of why you chose to eat correctly for 6 weeks. Remind yourself of your goals and the benefits.
    .. Good luck !

^ this. some people say not to compare over eating and other eating disorders as an alcoholic or drug user, but i feel they are quite similar. I react the same way once I start eating junk food.... one, then another, then another. My body feels like it goes through withdrawal when i don't have the sugar I'm used to eating. It's also a mental battle with myself... i don't want to eat more, but I do. I know I shouldn't, but I will.

All you can do, is chalk this up to a moment (or several) of weakness, and start again. We all mess up sometime during out weight loss journey, some people have to start over 20+ times .... but it's also up to us how you want to proceed after that. Recognize it, learn from it and move on, or fall back into old habits because its easier.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You know, there's something about exercising that turns off hunger cravings. If I walk regularly I'm fine, but if for some reason I miss more than a couple of days I find myself craving sugar, fats and more snacks. I think I read once that exercise pulls fat/ energy out of your liver stores. Anyway, I think the key is to get back to doing something as soon as you can and that will keep you on track. You might have to change it up if you're injured but try to do something as soon as you're able -- and may the force be with you.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You know, there's something about exercising that turns off hunger cravings. If I walk regularly I'm fine, but if for some reason I miss more than a couple of days I find myself craving sugar, fats and more snacks. I think I read once that exercise pulls fat/ energy out of your liver stores. Anyway, I think the key is to get back to doing something as soon as you can and that will keep you on track. You might have to change it up if you're injured but try to do something as soon as you're able -- and may the force be with you.

I totally agree with this and all that was stated above. I have hard a rough week but it is nearly over. Even on the days following my crash, I have been doggedly following my healthy plan because regardless of what cravings my body is sending me I know what it need to be healthy. Thanks for all the support.
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    I am nearing the end of my seventh week on MFP. The first 6 weeks were great. I lost nearly every week with I know is surprising. I had an iron will against all the poor food choices I had been indulging in that got me to 236.6. I hit 20 pounds down and I hurt my back (trying to run too soon) and suddenly I had two days where I ate anything and everything in sight. I have been tracking and measuring and making good choices over the past several days however.

Now my difficulty is that I keep wanting to eat all that crappy stuff. Did I just start a chain reaction? I wasn't being too strict with my diet. I allowed myself little treats here and there within my calories. I wasn't starving either.

Is it common to have a periodic week of straying after weeks of healthy tracking and healthy eating?

sounds just like me .. i need a kick up the bottom and a hand slap everytime i go astray atm. im keeping a check on this thread ha
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to update this really quick. I did lose this week. I dropped another 1.6 pounds today. I guess that is pays to get right back into the saddle even if it is difficult. Knowing that I did my best after going astray was enough to keep me going but seeing a loss certainly made me more committed to doing much better this week.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just a little support here. No matter how many "bad" days you have you can always jump right back into it. As soon as you realize that you have been sabataging yourself, make a plan to have a better day the following day or even the rest of that day. I have dieted a million times and this time, this lifestyle change has helped me to realize that I will mess up and when I do I just have to get back at it and not let it turn into a total backslide. That is the difference between dieting and making a lifestyle change. A diet you go off and on and a lifestyle change allows you to mess up and get back at it.

You can do this. Try to focus on where you came from and where you want to be. And cut yourself a little (just a little :)) slack when you mess up.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    When I go astray, I try to keep it to just one day. I realize I had a mini vacation and was now going back to work. When you make it through tough times but get back to healthy eating, it makes you stronger and you realize you really can stick with it. As others said, use it as a learning tool.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just had 2 days where i overate and drank quite a bit, these were events i had planned ages ago, and intended to overeat and drink, but what i found was that the more crap i ate, the more i wanted. It didnt even taste that great, i just wanted the 'fix' of high sugar. Good for you for getting right back into the diet, i think it helps to just write off a couple of 'bad' days/meals whatever and get right back onto it.