Spin Shoe Recommendations

Options
aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
I've posted about nervous about going to spin class and y'all were a tremendous help, because it turns out I REALLY like spin class!

But my feet don't. At all. About half way in all I can think about is my feet hurting. So I'm looking for shoe recommendations. Ideally something cheap-ish. I'm not going to be competitively cycling long distances or anything, just going to spin class a couple of times a month. Ideally something I can buy on Amazon for under $100.

Replies

• cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at the cycle shop that my gym recommended. They knew which cleats fit the bikes. They were like $85 with the cleats
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    . I'm not going to be competitively cycling long distances or anything, just going to spin class a couple of times a month.

That really doesn't have much to do with it. $ are in fancy materials to make light stiff shoe soles. You want stiffness because it transfers power from your foot to the pedals more efficiently. Cheap shoes use plastic. Expensive shoes use carbon fibre and exotic blends.

There are spin specific shoes. I'm not a fan. Road shoes are superior. Same cost usually will be lighter and/or stiffer cause they aren't marketed to spin classes.

Cheaper road shoes often have dual cleat patterns - both 3-hole road pedals and 2-hole mtb cleats.

Any road shoe with a 3-hole pattern will also work. If the gym doesn't use Delta, Keo, or SPD-SL, it uses a 2-hole cleat which can be installed with an adapter plate.

My Pearl Izumi road shoes I paid $75 10 years ago have both patterns. Cleats can range from $5 to $15
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I got fitted at a cycle shop and then bought my shoes used on Ebay. Make sure you get the cleats that fit the bikes you will be riding. I needed the SPD's.

ETA but I eventually wore them out and don't use cycle shoes at all. I wear shoes that are somewhat stiffed soled and the pedals do not bother me anymore.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    cycling shoes are like any other, buy the ones that fit best, so I'd recommend visiting a store and trying some on to work out what works for you.
    I've generally bought the previous seasons shoes that are discounted which means you get better for less and as you'll put thousands of miles on them before they wear out it'll be well worth the investment. (mine are 7 years young).

After that buy some compatible cleats, the placement on the shoe is important as it's the contact point between you and the bike so you may want to speak to your spin instructor about that as you want to be comfortable. We're not talking micro adjustments here and you'll probably get it right first time but it's worth knowing just in case you get a sore foot.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Cleated cycling shoes are the best - not surprising as that's what they are designed for....

For convenience MTB shoes with cleats recessed into the sole means you can walk like a semi normal human being to get from the changing room to the class.
    For performance lighter weight road cycling shoes (cleats stand proud which makes walking an issue, as I've got stairs to navigate I put them on when I get to the bike).

I bought both pairs in online clearance sales (from online bike shops rather than Amazon) and both were inexpensive and perfectly adequate.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Another vote for cleated cycling shoes. :) I use an older pair of mountain bike shoes (MTB) for spinning and other indoor cycling.

But if you really don't want to go the cycling shoe route, at least get yourself some shoes with good solid stiff soles.
  • MarquezJA86
    MarquezJA86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've posted about nervous about going to spin class and y'all were a tremendous help, because it turns out I REALLY like spin class!

But my feet don't. At all. About half way in all I can think about is my feet hurting. So I'm looking for shoe recommendations. Ideally something cheap-ish. I'm not going to be competitively cycling long distances or anything, just going to spin class a couple of times a month. Ideally something I can buy on Amazon for under $100.

• MarquezJA86
    MarquezJA86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We bought ours on base and it was a steal
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I assumed that they'd be biking shoes, but I guess I'm not sure what a cleat is in that situation? I know that a lot of them have like little holes that clip into the pedals... is that what you guys are talking about?

My only mental image of a cleat are the soccer shoes with pointy cleats for gripping grass, which I'm sure is not the case here!
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    This is a start >> https://drivemybike.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/understanding-clipless-pedals-two-common-systems/

If you buy cycling shoes for classes, make sure you get the right ones.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I got fitted at a cycle shop and then bought my shoes used on Ebay. Make sure you get the cleats that fit the bikes you will be riding. I needed the SPD's.

Oh, you're one of those people.......

OP first step is to check with your class which cleats they support as there are several, non-compatible, varieties out there. Personally I'm a fan of the Look Keo pedals/cleats as the red cleats allow more degrees of float than the comparable Shimano but your choices will be limited to whatever they have on the bikes.

Once you've done that check with your local bike shop what they have available, unless you need an unusual size you should be able to find something decent on sale in your price range. If you want to buy from Amazon don't waste your local shop's time getting fitted.....

• L1zardQueen
    Options

:*
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

You thought it was okay to waste the store's time providing you with a service and then shopping on-line?
  • L1zardQueen
    edited February 2018
    Options

You thought it was okay to waste the store's time providing you with a service and then shopping on-line?

Ive purchased service and bikes at this same place. I know what you are saying but I was buying crapppy spin bike shoes and did not want to spend a bunch of money on them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I assumed that they'd be biking shoes, but I guess I'm not sure what a cleat is in that situation? I know that a lot of them have like little holes that clip into the pedals... is that what you guys are talking about?

My only mental image of a cleat are the soccer shoes with pointy cleats for gripping grass, which I'm sure is not the case here!

Most spin bikes accommodate SPD cleats...I've never seen anything else, but you may want to ask your instructor.

They make indoor specific cycling shoes like this...

61TFIR4LAjL._UY395_.jpg

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/giro-womens-whynd-cycling-shoes-16girwwhyndxxxxxxshs/16girwwhyndxxxxxxshs

or if you want a stiffer shoe you could go with a mountain biking shoe.
  • sijomial
    Options
    82j5hokielxy.jpg

These are Shimano SPD cleats, they attach to the sole of your cycling shoes and you clip in against a spring loaded mounting in a very similar way to a ski binding.

I've only ever seen SPD cleat systems used on Spinning bikes in the UK.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    82j5hokielxy.jpg

These are Shimano SPD cleats, they attach to the sole of your cycling shoes and you clip in against a spring loaded mounting in a very similar way to a ski binding.

My tri club has SPD, SPD/SL and Keo pedals as well as ones with the old rat traps but I suspect that's also because practically everyone there already has a road or TT bike and shoes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest the point that was unknown when you first commented on a what's seen as a normally shabby method of treating a LBS.

But wasn't in this case since you support them.
  • sijomial
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    82j5hokielxy.jpg

My tri club has SPD, SPD/SL and Keo pedals as well as ones with the old rat traps but I suspect that's also because practically everyone there already has a road or TT bike and shoes.

@BrianSharpe
    Similar on my Wattbikes - pedals are double sided to allow SPD, Keo or flats with toe cages. They mostly cater for the outdoor cyclist who is training indoors which seems to be a bit of a different demographic to the Spinning crowd who only get pedals for SPD or flat shoes.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I use Louis garneau. You can order them from Dicks Sporting Goods. Not sure what u have in mind as cheap but the shoes I have were around $100 (plus the cost of the SPD cleats for around $10). I chose to order through them bc I wasn't sure what size I'd need. They are in euro sizing and a lot of spin shoes run narrow. Dicks has free returns so if you don't pick the right size you aren't out shipping cost. Amazon had a lot of shoes that look cheap but when I click on it a lot of them only have a few sizes in stock and you may end up having to pay return shipping if they don't fit.