Weight loss surgery, yes or no?

Options
What was your experience like? Positive....negative??

Replies

• chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I have some friends that have gone through it and it's been mixed on the good and bad. I have never really considered it much. On a visit with a new doctor (about something else) she mentioned to me that she had a really good referral to a weight loss surgeon and I should consider it. While I do consider myself to be in the big girl category, I must say I was a bit offended at first because no doctor has ever mentioned such to me. Of course overeating has gotten me here but along with that I have pcos and I can basically look at food and gain weight. Now that I'm getting older (did I say that out loud haha?) my arthritic knees are killing me and I'm wondering if the positives of surgery would outweigh the negative. I do want to live my best life but I also don't want to be sick every time I eat something. Thanks for the feedback!
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Thanks all. I have some friends that have gone through it and it's been mixed on the good and bad. I have never really considered it much. On a visit with a new doctor (about something else) she mentioned to me that she had a really good referral to a weight loss surgeon and I should consider it. While I do consider myself to be in the big girl category, I must say I was a bit offended at first because no doctor has ever mentioned such to me. Of course overeating has gotten me here but along with that I have pcos and I can basically look at food and gain weight. Now that I'm getting older (did I say that out loud haha?) my arthritic knees are killing me and I'm wondering if the positives of surgery would outweigh the negative. I do want to live my best life but I also don't want to be sick every time I eat something. Thanks for the feedback!

This might be an overreaction, but for a brand new doctor -- with no real knowledge of your history -- to tell you out of the blue that she had a "really good referral to a weight loss surgeon" would raise a red flag for me.

I did find it odd as well, considering I was seeing the new doctor for a breast lump and no real connection to that conversation. I do, however, still have her sticky note with the docs info hanging on my fridge and I think hmm should I consult lol. I probably won't though.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

This might be an overreaction, but for a brand new doctor -- with no real knowledge of your history -- to tell you out of the blue that she had a "really good referral to a weight loss surgeon" would raise a red flag for me.

I did find it odd as well, considering I was seeing the new doctor for a breast lump and no real connection to that conversation. I do, however, still have her sticky note with the docs info hanging on my fridge and I think hmm should I consult lol. I probably won't though.

Based on your photo - there is no way you should consider WLS and shame on that doctor. Read the cautionary tale above and I think that will make it clear. I have a cousin with the same experience- she’s heavier than before surgery and her health has deteriorated.
    Set up your MFP profile to lose 1 lb a week and go! I started at 267 and am closing in on 100 lbs lost. I’m stronger and healthier than ever and I’m almost 60! You’ve got this! And find another doctor!

Thank you! And congrats on that 100lb loss! Awesome job!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    ZDeb16 wrote: »
    Two of my sisters had it done; one died a year later from complications and the other has gained back about 1/2 the weight she lost but she would do it again she said. Research your physicians and plan to make dietary changes for life. Both could not like they had before. Good luck!

Nothing to add just that I am so sorry for your loss.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »
    It is not true. There are many more risks associated with gastric bypass than gallbladder surgery. I know. I had both. My brother ended up with a ruptured pouch ended up 3 months in the hospital. I ended up 10 days in with collapsed lungs. My teeth have been fixed due to all the vomiting. I developed a hiatal hernia and a esophageal hernia where I was having what felt like heart problems. I also developed chronic ulcers and barretts esophagus. Just some of the complications caused by the surgery. I have a friend who managed to keep the weight off but developed bleeding ulcers many times over. She also has been hospitalized a few times for dehydration and malnutrition. I am not discouraging you from getting it but I want you to know the truth. It is not a cakewalk. It is not the easy way out. You still are going to have food issues. You might end up with problems you never had before like I did. I don't know. I have mixed feelings about having it.

My gosh! Seriously more problems than I would ever bargain for! Thanks for sharing.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    ZDeb16 wrote: »
    Two of my sisters had it done; one died a year later from complications and the other has gained back about 1/2 the weight she lost but she would do it again she said. Research your physicians and plan to make dietary changes for life. Both could not like they had before. Good luck!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a younger child and don't see it's worth the risk. Thanks.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What was your experience like? Positive....negative??

I am looking into surgery. I would like to get the sleeve. I am in the preop process now. I have lost some weight on my own but still have a long way to go and hope the surgery will help with that. It seems like 90 percent of people are glad they had it done.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Just for context and not a recommendation: I have spoken to some WL surgeons at our hospital. They sincerely believe in the effectiveness of their intervention, and they have lots of research that makes it sound pretty good (of course, like most surgical outcome research, the evaluation period is very short so it greatly overstates the benefits IMO).

My point is that it would not be surprising that a family doc would be confortable with their language and approach and might find these presentations convincing - enough to be more proactive about recommending the procedure.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have one relative who had the bariatric surgery. From her mfp photo, it appears to have failed. That is, she seems to have regained any weight she might have lost due to the surgery.

It's an attractive spend if you have the money. Spend the money to be slim. Ahhh. But, no. You have to eat properly to be slim. You have to move deliberately to be fit. You don't have enough insurance, wealth, gold, or influence to buy that.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I have one relative who had the bariatric surgery. From her mfp photo, it appears to have failed. That is, she seems to have regained any weight she might have lost due to the surgery.

It's an attractive spend if you have the money. Spend the money to be slim. Ahhh. But, no. You have to eat properly to be slim. You have to move deliberately to be fit. You don't have enough insurance, wealth, gold, or influence to buy that.

The surgery works, but only to a point. Most people fail when they don't learn how to pick up the slack when the surgery's effectiveness is over.