Sore collarbones after weightlifting?

Options
Hello everyone, I've been doing P90 for about 27 days (almost at 30!!) and this last week I've been feeling a lot of pain in my collar bones/collar bone area after the weight lifting days. Is this normal muscle developing pain or could my form be bad?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Odd place to feel pain lifting.

The only pain I ever felt in my collarbone was when I broke it highsiding off a motorcycle at a race track landing too hard on my shoulder. Tore a rotator cuff doing the same thing skiing but that's another story.

The collar bone doesn't do much except keep the sternum attached to your shoulders. No specific stress placed on it directly and, if that happens, it can break as it did in my case.

My guess is that the problem is more likely in the upper pecs which attach to the shoulders near where the collarbone does.

Were you doing pushups, pullups, overhead lifts or similar exercises? If so, they are probably the source of the problem.

• BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I figured it was more the area and not the actual bone, I do indeed do pushups, pulldowns and overhead lifts.

I've done weight lifting before, a long time ago, I'm just getting back into it and never felt pain quite there before, it's higher up than the pain I usually feel in my pecs.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    The only time I've really felt pain there (like bad enough that I wondered if I had somehow gotten a small fracture) was when my first rib had been pulled out of place - chiro popped that back in, woosh, pain gone. Now I recognize it (I'm prone to pulling ribs out), and have been able to get it back on my own, but it's a unique pain I hadn't experienced before.
    sgt1372 wrote: »

The only pain I ever felt in my collarbone was when I broke it highsiding off a motorcycle at a race track landing too hard on my shoulder. Tore a rotator cuff doing the same thing skiing but that's another story.

hello fellow rider
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Train lighter. Take rest days.

You are over-doing it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I had to think back to when I first started because I remember that feeling.

Be conscious as to how you are moving the weight.
    I use to be quite tense and my shoulders would roll forward and raise up enough that they were almost earrings. This was just in life- I always thought I had a very short neck.

Add in some weights and, yes, my collarbone ached.

Learning to relax my shoulders and roll them back to a neutral position cured the problem for me.

Cheers, h.