My first half Marathon and I don't want to lose muscle....

Options
I'm a lifter, through and through... I have been talked into doing a half marathon in October, in memory of my father in law that we just lost January 6 of this year to pancreatic cancer. I have to do this, and I want to do this, for him and for me. I am NOT a runner, hence the opening sentence of this post. The furthest I have run is a 5k so training is going to be in order.. That said, I have pulled up some sample training schedules for half marathons and holy hell I am going to be running... ALOT. Any tips from anyone as to how I can do this without losing a significant amount of muscle in the process? Anyone have any training schedules that include lifting in with the half mararthon training? I haven't been able to find anything. Obviously, I am not going to be able to keep up my current lifting schedule and run that much without completely killing myself physically and mentally. Any advice is welcome, thank you all in advance. HAPPY FRIDAY!

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Can you help explain why you would think you're going to lose muscle? You're still using muscles when you run.

You may not *gain* more if you're not going to keep at your existing training schedule, but that doesn't mean you're going to lose. Just be careful to fuel your runs, and not eat at a deficit if you want to make sure that you keep what you currently have.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you'll lose muscle?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Eat a ton.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Relax, the good news is that you mostly likely aren't going to lose any muscle. Things can get severely overblown about distance running killing your gains...
    All you want to do is finish without being in pain, you'll be able to do that, keep lifting and not lose any muscle. You may have to juggle your schedule a little, but it's absolutely doable without needing to be superhuman.
    Google "complete human performance", "Alex viada", "Paul stables" and "lift heavy run long". Those will ease your mind.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @TavistockToad and @collectingblues

Muscles atrophy at about 50% the rate at which they were built up. That's saying that one week of training can be undone and one's body will return to its former state after 2 weeks of no training. I am a female 37 years old, and have been weight training since 2010, it is not easy for me to build muscle and even being sick for a few weeks and not hitting the gym as much as usual I noticed a difference. I simply will not be able to keep up with serious lifting and serious marathon training without overtraining (as well as seriously neglecting my children and husband lol). I understand that running does use muscles, but it is not the same as lifting weights and targeting specific muscle groups each day of the week.

• TavistockToad
    Options

Muscles atrophy at about 50% the rate at which they were built up. That's saying that one week of training can be undone and one's body will return to its former state after 2 weeks of no training. I am a female 37 years old, and have been weight training since 2010, it is not easy for me to build muscle and even being sick for a few weeks and not hitting the gym as much as usual I noticed a difference. I simply will not be able to keep up with serious lifting and serious marathon training without overtraining (as well as seriously neglecting my children and husband lol). I understand that running does use muscles, but it is not the same as lifting weights and targeting specific muscle groups each day of the week.

Training for a half doesn't mean you can't ever lift...?
  • collectingblues
    edited February 2018
    Options

And you legitimately feel that you will lose eight years of muscle growth and development in the course of training? By your figures, wouldn't that take you 16 years to do?

Why not lift on your non-run days?
  • branflakes1980
    Options

I understand that... I asked in my OP if anyone had a training schedule that incorporates lifting into the training. All of the training schedules I have looked at include running (miles a day) 3-6 days a week but do not incorporate any weight training into them and if I am running that much, i don't know when I would find time to incorporate lifting into my schedule (I work full time, have 2 children that have extra curricular activities, and a husband who has a crazy work schedule as well) and I don't want to kill myself physically either.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I understand that... I asked in my OP if anyone had a training schedule that incorporates lifting into the training. All of the training schedules I have looked at include running (miles a day) 3-6 days a week but do not incorporate any weight training into them and if I am running that much, i don't know when I would find time to incorporate lifting into my schedule (I work full time, have 2 children that have extra curricular activities, and a husband who has a crazy work schedule as well) and I don't want to kill myself physically either.

You can lift on your non running days, just don't do legs the day before/after long run day.

And running 3 - 4 days is plenty for a half. Add 2 cross training/lifting days that's 5 - 6 days training.

How many days do you currently train?
  • branflakes1980
    Options

And you legitimately feel that you will lose eight years of muscle growth and development in the course of training? By your figures, wouldn't that take you 16 years to do?

Why not lift on your non-run days?

I was more asking if anyone had a training schedule that incorporated weight training in with the marathon training. I don't want to kill myself, and was asking for guidance more than judgement.

thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • branflakes1980
    Options

You can lift on your non running days, just don't do legs the day before/after long run day.

And running 3 - 4 days is plenty for a half. Add 2 cross training/lifting days that's 5 - 6 days training.

Thanks. I currently lift 5 days a week. With only one steady state cardio day.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Thanks. I currently lift 5 days a week. With only one steady state cardio day.

Great.

My advice is beware the runger :laugh:
  • collectingblues
    Options

Yup. I runs halves. I routinely run just 3-4 days a week. I'm more than happy with this mileage. I have room to work in cross training, and aside from some osteopenia-related problems last spring/summer/fall, am generally injury free.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I have never seen the rate of atrophy you are stating. Also, even if true, you don’t build significant muscle in one week. The idea that you can “return to former state” in 2 weeks doesn’t make sense.

Distance running can interfere (not halt) with the rate and extent of hypertrophy. It’s more the calorie deficit and reduction of lifting volume that leads to muscle loss, not running itself “eating muscle”.

The amount of loss you could potentially experience will greatly depend on where you are now. If you have been pushing to the limit have significant muscle gained in a shorter amount of time, then the loss would likely be greater. If you are in a maintenance phase, it’s likely to be less.

You can maintain your lifting, run as much as you can fit in, and likely struggle more with the half, or you can cut back on lifting, train more at running, and deal with the after effects when the race is finished.

My general recommendation would be to lift intensely at a reduced volume, train enough at running to be comfortable for an event that you admit is an important thing to do, and then resume your heavier weight training afterwards. I don’t think the effects are going to be as bad as you think.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

I have never seen the rate of atrophy you are stating. Also, even if true, you don’t build significant muscle in one week. The idea that you can “return to former state” in 2 weeks doesn’t make sense.

Distance running can interfere (not halt) with the rate and extent of hypertrophy. It’s more the calorie deficit and reduction of lifting volume that leads to muscle loss, not running itself “eating muscle”.

The amount of loss you could potentially experience will greatly depend on where you are now. If you have been pushing to the limit have significant muscle gained in a shorter amount of time, then the loss would likely be greater. If you are in a maintenance phase, it’s likely to be less.

You can maintain your lifting, run as much as you can fit in, and likely struggle more with the half, or you can cut back on lifting, train more at running, and deal with the after effects when the race is finished.

My general recommendation would be to lift intensely at a reduced volume, train enough at running to be comfortable for an event that you admit is an important thing to do, and then resume your heavier weight training afterwards. I don’t think the effects are going to be as bad as you think.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You have a good 7 months to train - look up Hal Higdon plans as an example.
    Two shorter runs during the week with longer on Sat or Sunday 3 cross training days and rest day
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    Two shorter runs during the week with longer on Sat or Sunday 3 cross training days and rest day

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    Options

3 cross training days probably isn't necessary either, that way OP sticks with her 5 training days.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    i started running last march, training for 2 marathons, im now training for my 3rd. lift on your non running days, and eat enough calories, maintenance if you are not trying to lose weight.

I was doing 2-3 short runs a week, and 1 long run on weekends and weight trained 2 days a week
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I never ran into muscle economy issue until I started pushing distances around the 50km mark. I was still making gains in squats when training for halfs and maintaining when doing marathons, not until 50kms did I see detriment to my squats. So rest easy, your muscles should be fine although you'll probably have a few worn down weeks to push though.