[RUNNERS] Help! Unusual shoe wear pattern??

Options
I have added a few pictures to show the strange wear pattern of my running shoes. You can see that the inside of the toe box is severely worn down as if my feet are striking each other. I do not feel this when running though so I have ignored it.

Today a fitness instructor saw how bad my shoes were worn and recommended I see a chiropractor (something I have never wanted to do). I have tried to find someone else with the same issue as me so I could find the correct type of shoe to help me fix this problem. Please give me any info or advice that you have. Thanks!!

INNER EDGE:
h9fw1bumzcbh.jpg

OUTER EDGE:
4vxgrod8v3lp.jpg

INSIDE TOE WEAR:
p38v3c0jxpit.jpg

TOE LANDING WEAR:
jqm2ixhdwyy5.jpg

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What age are they? The sole wear isn't bad, but it looks as if the outsole has broken away front the midsole on the arch
  • RochelleLUnangst
    RochelleLUnangst Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    About 6 months, mostly used for walking, but all of my past RUNNING ONLY shoes have developed the same wear on the inside edge.
  • RochelleLUnangst
    Options
    This is my biggest concern:
    ygwyhmgrgiv4.jpg
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Have you had your foot strike evaluated at a running store? You might be over-supinating and causing pressure on that part of the rubber, causing it to crack and fall off even though you aren't striking it.

If you want to know if you are striking without realizing it, you could put some chalk on one shoe and see if it migrates over to the other shoe during a run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest concern:
    ygwyhmgrgiv4.jpg

Can't quite make out, but they appear to be Gel Kyano?

It may be that they're inappropriate for you, as the sole wear pattern does show some pretty significant supination, whereas the Kyano is designed for neutral to overpronators.

Given some of the other sole damage it may be that you have a defective pair, but I'd more likely say they're overstressed, leading to the outsole damage.
  • RochelleLUnangst
    Options
    Yes they are, and I've also had the Gel-Nimbus with the same results. I believed I needed them due to having high arches and having plantar fasciitis pain at one point. I will try to find a running store near me that will offer the evaluation. I really do need a well fitting pair of shoes since I will be running an 8k in 6 weeks and hopefully a 1/2 Marathon sometime after.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Yes they are, and I've also had the Gel-Nimbus with the same results. I believed I needed them due to having high arches and having plantar fasciitis pain at one point. I will try to find a running store near me that will offer the evaluation. I really do need a well fitting pair of shoes since I will be running an 8k in 6 weeks and hopefully a 1/2 Marathon sometime after.

When you go to a running store to get a proper fitting take these shoes with you so they can see the wear pattern.