Barbell Bench Press without spotter

Options
Hi all--I've been looking over quite a few of the beginner/intermediate weight training programs posted in the link provided in the sticky thread up top, and many of them recommend progressive overload with 5 or so reps of traditional barbell bench presses. I've avoided the barbell in the past when I don't go to the gym with a regular workout partner, since it simply doesn't seem safe to push an appropriate amount of weight (viz., 5 reps with the last being close to failure) without a spotter. I've been using dumbbells instead. I have no problem asking Random Dude #352 to spot for a set, but doing so for several sets is just inconsiderate.

So, any advice is appreciated. Stick with dumbbells? Go lower, "safe" weight on the barbell, and, if so, increase reps?

Thanks!

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Just ask someone. I do it all the time. Everyone at my gym does.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym and workout by myself. I dont have someone to spot me but I bench press in my squat rack as mentioned above just in case but never needed it really. I would say do them and when you notice that your having trouble take extra rest and try again or a little less weight extra reps.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Ask someone. I find that 5 reps and up is not really weight that I would need a spotter on anyway. Sometimes toward the end of a cycle 5's can get tricky but it wouldn't be every time.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I did the AllPro programme that increases reps before weight and has a heavy, medium and light day.
    By the time it was time to increase my weight I was confident doing so without a spotter.

Cheers, h.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I train with bench press regularly without a spotter. But it is not with heavy weights and low reps. It is moderately heavy and 8 to 12 reps. I just don't take it all the way to failure. I can tell when I have one, maybe 2 reps left and that's where I stop.

If I'm going heavy or testing 1RM, I wouldn't do it without a spotter. I'm always happy to spot for someone. That is just good gym etiquette.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    While I generally do more than 5 reps per set, I stop before I would get to the point of needing help.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Bench in a squat rack with the safety bars set at the height to rest the bar if you cannot complete the lift

Recommending this approach.
  • nknis8556
    nknis8556 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great advice--thanks, everyone!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I aim for 5 reps on the bench press, I simply stop when I am unsure if I can succeed on the next rep and that is okay, you still make gains and it's less taxing on the body then going for failure on every rep and you have less chances of getting injured too. That is still a big win in my books.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I only ask for a spotter if I know there is a high likelihood I'm going to fail. But I've failed plenty of times without a spotter. Most times I can rack it on the lower pins. Once or twice I've had to do the roll of shame. Of course I'm not lifting significant weight, so no danger of really hurting myself.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I only ask for a spotter if I know there is a high likelihood I'm going to fail. But I've failed plenty of times without a spotter. Most times I can rack it on the lower pins. Once or twice I've had to do the roll of shame. Of course I'm not lifting significant weight, so no danger of really hurting myself.

I've done the roll of shame myself
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In addition to using a power cage for benching, you could see if your gym has adjustable stands like below. There are a few different types, so they might not look exactly like these. With just the empty bar, you can figure out how high you need them for safety. Make a note of how they're set up, so you can just walk in and set them up right away in the future.

61gb1y-CGSL._SX425_.jpg
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use a power cage I picked up cheap on gumtree. It has catchers. I tend to train hard and up my weight around weekly but fractionally rather than big jumps. I’ve only been caught out once and I just rolled out from the bar on the catchers
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Don't use the collars to secure the weight, that way you can lift the bar on one side to slight the plates off and dump the weight.

Plenty of videos on youtube about dumping the weights during a bench press. Check them out if you're not sure how to do it.
    I prefer the rolling over method, I have seen too many people dump their weights on someone else by accident.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Simply just ask someone. I usually ask a person also benching so I can return the favor if needed.

Being close to failure can be a tricky assumption especially if you're a novice. Better being safe then sorry. Also using a weight that is challenging but holds good form is going to give the appropriate stress for progressive strength training.