Low carb helped anyone with pmt?

Options
I wondered the above as the gynaecologist suggested that low carbs in luteal phase helps reduce menstrual symptoms and bingeing. Any one have an experiences they might share?
Thank you

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. Some people feel great on low carb, others feel great on high carbs. Do what works for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    In the low carber daily, a number of women have reported slightly better pms, along with more regular cycles and improvement with PCOS. I think it can help some but it is not a given.

My cycles are more regular and I have less cramping and fewer headaches that I previously associated with PMS. Bloating is slightly reduced too. Who knows, these improvements could be due to approaching menopause too, but I doubt it.
    YMMV
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm lower carb (but not keto low). I feel better overall. Biggest improvement is definitely with pms. Don't know if it's specific to low carb or due to overall weight loss. My cycles are about the same but cramps are mild, bloating is much better, cravings are under control for the most part and mood is much more even!
  • wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Fitnessmum grrat news. My gynaecologist is absolutely all for low carb but only in two weeks before period-the time I want carbs! My go thought that was a load of rubbish.... I think if I truest believed it would work. May I ask what your diet looks like?

Thanks nv sounds like you are doing well too. My issues is less with cramping I get fluid retention but major issues are irregular period with hellosh pmt two weeks before, I also binge eat during these two weeks (not blaming hormones entirely for this one but my insatiable appetite for any carbs appears hormone related). It was all after I had children pmt came along.

Yirara you see that’s such a tricky one as I tried it for a couple of days and felt awful. It took iron willpower. Yet I think about years ago I not consciously followed low carb and felt amazing. Humph. I need iron willpower but if I knew it would make a difference of course I would try it.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Fitnessmum grrat news. My gynaecologist is absolutely all for low carb but only in two weeks before period-the time I want carbs! My go thought that was a load of rubbish.... I think if I truest believed it would work. May I ask what your diet looks like?

I generally eat oatmeal for breakfast, a salad with some type of protein for lunch and usually a lean meat with a ton of veggies for dinner. I snack on nuts, cheese, the occasional piece of chocolate, veggies, whole grain tortilla chips. Once a week I have a carb heavy meal like a big bowl of pasta or pizza and dessert. It helps me to not miss those foods in my every day diet (basically all I ate prior to losing weight). The carb cravings are still very real for me right before and during my period. I try my best not to give in and I usually don't but sometimes I'll indulge in a small amount of whatever is making me crazy. I do try to just eat more protein and veggies during this time. If I am full I will usually shy away from the heavy food that I am craving. This month I had birthday cake in house during my period. No way I could abstain! So I allowed myself a small piece every night. Still lost weight, still had mild pms! It's all about balance. I felt a little guilty breaking my personal "no sweets during the week" rule, but I made sure it fit into the goal for the day!