Paleo Stomach Pains

Options
I have been eating a mostly Paleo diet for several months now - berries, eggs, olive oil, salads, nuts, sardines, herring, grass fed beef (rarely), etc. I do eat other fruits and veggies, but no legumes, bread, pasta, rice, or potatoes, and very little dairy (cottage cheese), sugar (10g in daily coffee), or processed foods (frozen fish, mostly). I am rarely hungry, but do get stomach pains quite often. I have never had digestive issues and get plenty of fiber. I am also quite regular and drink plenty of water. Several weeks ago I had a California roll on a night out as a treat and thought I had food poisoning, the pains were so bad. Apparently the rice gave me the intense pains that went away after about an hour.

The pains occur almost daily, especially during workouts or when I need to eat. My questions are 1. Why am I not feeling normal hunger signals? 2. Why am I having these intense stomach pains that force me to take many Tums to calm them? Eating alone does not do the trick.

Thanks for your input and advice!

Replies

• maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but do you still have your gall bladder? That sounds a lot like how I felt when I had gall stones. In any case, it doesn't sound normal. I'd get it checked out.
  • leed12345
    leed12345 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Actually I don't have my gall bladder! That's what's so weird... My diet is also not high in animal fats. Maybe this is more of a question for my physician.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If Tums calm you down, I would guess that you are producing excess gastric acid. If you have intense pain, I would definitely see your doctor as you may have the beginnings of gastric ulcer, which can be easily treated. Your diet, although popular, is I feel not the right one in this day and age. But that's only my opinion and I wouldn't dream of saying you're wrong.
    The very fact that your digestive system reacts in this way to such a small amount of food that you are not used to consuming would ring alarm bells to me.
    Perhaps you could try a longer acting antacid, such as Zantac (Ranitidine) which will prevent too much acid formation - stopping the problem at source, so-to-speak.
    But do see your Medical Practitioner. Any agonising pain should be investigated, from whatever source.
    Best wishes
    Lal
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor but I play one on the internet. You don't eat grains, and then you eat grains and you get sick.... ask a vegetarian what happens when they eat meat after an extended period of time not eating meat.

Perhaps you should go see one. Asking an internet forum what is wrong with you is crazy.
  • leed12345
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I will be seeing my doctor next week about a potential ulcer. My personal trainer told me it was normal for a body to react that way to the "poison" of the white rice after not eating it for so long, but that seemd weird to me since I have eaten refined carbs my whole life with no issue. I am eating a healthier, more balanced diet than ever. I agree, straight up Paleo is too heavy on the animal fat for my taste, and not enough emphasis on vegetables.:smile:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    go to the doctor!

do not sit around whle god knows what is going on with you asking people who dont know you in real life whats the matter.

people think tums are the answer to their indigestion, all the while masking something drastic, the tums are not a cure.

GO SEE THE DOCTOR!!!!!
  • leed12345
    Options
    :smile: Thanks, that's actually great advice! I do, however, already have the appts. for tests and physician. Was doing a little Paleo research, however, and this seemed like an issue many deal with as they switch to Paleo. Just looking for other perspectives.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    :smile: Thanks, that's actually great advice! I do, however, already have the appts. for tests and physician. Was doing a little Paleo research, however, and this seemed like an issue many deal with as they switch to Paleo. Just looking for other perspectives.

thank you! I hope it is just a little indigestion.

You said something about eating a lot of meat. that might be the culprit. Sometimes meat can be like too heavy on the stomach. sometimes it has too much fat in it. I heard of people ingesting too much fat in food (the adkins diet) and turns out they are eating too much fat. not good for the body.

i wish you well.
  • leed12345
    Options
    Thanks, you too! :happy:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a mostly Paleo diet for several months now - berries, eggs, olive oil, salads, nuts, sardines, herring, grass fed beef (rarely), etc. I do eat other fruits and veggies, but no legumes, bread, pasta, rice, or potatoes, and very little dairy (cottage cheese), sugar (10g in daily coffee), or processed foods (frozen fish, mostly). I am rarely hungry, but do get stomach pains quite often. I have never had digestive issues and get plenty of fiber. I am also quite regular and drink plenty of water. Several weeks ago I had a California roll on a night out as a treat and thought I had food poisoning, the pains were so bad. Apparently the rice gave me the intense pains that went away after about an hour.

The pains occur almost daily, especially during workouts or when I need to eat. My questions are 1. Why am I not feeling normal hunger signals? 2. Why am I having these intense stomach pains that force me to take many Tums to calm them? Eating alone does not do the trick.

Thanks for your input and advice!

That's not good & I know you want reassurance but the doctor is the only one who can give you a clue. Taking into account your signalment & past medical hx, he/she can order the diagnostics needed to figure out what's happening.

Good luck & I wish you well, hope all turns out to be nothing, but only one way to find out. :drinker:
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    If a paleo diet (or any diet) were causing me pains, I would rethink my choice as to following this particular diet. and find another that would not cause me pains.

pain in the body is a signal something aint right. I would not go on a diet that caused me pain like that.

Cant you find a diet that is kinder to your body?