Taking a bad week in stride

Options
This last week has been just a tad rough. On the heels of a 3 day event at my worksite (imagine a Colonial American Renn Faire...tons of fun, but oogh, exhausting) my boyfriend was admitted to the hospital for the second time since January, he spent our first "official" Valentine's Day in surgery, and my period hit with a vengeance and it's never gentle in the first place ("How am I throwing up water?!")

So, I gave myself a break. I logged, but not diligently, and I hit my 10k steps only 3 days. Ordered pizza, noshed on bagels and Yoo-Hoo, and chilled in my PJs binge-watching sci-fi movies at every opportunity.

And, I'm really okay with that. A year– heck, even 6 months ago– I'd be freaking out and beating myself up, but I'm surprising just fully fine with how I spent the last week. Realistically, the worst damage I did was gain a pound, maybe 1.5. So, that's just an extra week I have to be "good". I didn't 'screw up', I didn't 'fall off the bandwagon', it's Saturday night as I write this so tomorrow is the start of a new week and I'll get back on track.

I guess this was a learning lesson week for me and I'm glad that I accepted the education so easily. I'm not going to always be perfect with my food and exercise, and that's okay. I'm human. You're human, we're all human (unless you're a dog, this is the internet after all).

So, if I could pass a "teachable moment" on, particularly to newcomers struggling with New Year's resolutions...take it easy on yourself. If you have a bad day, or week, it's not going to kill either you or your diet. Kittens happen, and beating yourself up over it is more than likely going to do more harm in the long run than accepting it, learning from it, and moving the Hell on. Wallow not in self-pity...only in your PJs watching Netflix.

Oh, second teachable moment? If you're watching a sci-fi movie and someone enters an airlock, I hope you weren't too attached to that character. Airlocks are the premarital sex of the sci-fi genre.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    In for air locks...
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    In for air locks...

Seriously, right? I think the Chekhov's Gun principle can be directly translated to "Kubrick's Airlock".
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo many people need to read this and understand it. Thank you for posting.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this tonight. This was a rough week for me too. I broke my knee Sunday. I normally work out 6 days a week so going from that to unable to move much my calorie allowance dropped substantially, of course TOM and feeling bad about the injury led to some less than perfect eating choices. All of it combined I ended with an 1100 cal surplus for the week. Owell. I can’t take it back.

I think we all have a bad day, or even week, occasionally. The important thing is I’m still here. And so are you. Next week will be different