Oatmeal kills me

Options
2»

Replies

• jumpsquats
    jumpsquats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I use 40 grams of the quick 1 minute oats, cooked in water, then add about an ounce of cheese (usually cheddar or American) and melt/mix it all up with salt and pepper. I eat this everyday for breakfast and I am able to go about 5 hours between breakfast and lunch.

I'll have to try this. Never tried oats savoury before!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I used to eat oatmeal, but I don't anymore just for taste preferences. However, when I was eating it, it kept me full for a while but I added other stuff to it. Plain oatmeal is just blahhhh. My recipe mix was

oatmeal (150 cals) mixed with water
    microwave the oatmeal with 1 chopped apple (80 cals), cinnamon and splenda
    top with 1/2c cottage cheese (90 cals) and 2 tbsp peanuts (80 cals)

about 400 cals total and it's very satisfying. The apple and cottage cheese add a considerable amount of volume too.
  • health4me84
    health4me84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this thread, my hubby was calling me nuts lol. I was just saying last week how I thought that Oatmeal was supposed to "stick to your ribs"? After eating it with fruit, nuts etc. I become starving like 1-2 hours later. I end up over eating at lunch or on snacks. You would think that the fiber from the oats and fruit would slow down the hunger? So I am not the only one who thinks this. I will stick to eggs, smoothies or yogurt for breakfast then.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I never eat oatmeal plain on it's own ... too much carb ratio for me. However, if I eat it with an egg, and add in a piece of fruit or some berries it will hold me over for about 3.0 hours vs 1.5 ... it's the fat in egg that does it. Better yet is to eat it with an ounce of walnuts added, plus some berries ... that will hold me even longer.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this thread, my hubby was calling me nuts lol. I was just saying last week how I thought that Oatmeal was supposed to "stick to your ribs"? After eating it with fruit, nuts etc. I become starving like 1-2 hours later. I end up over eating at lunch or on snacks. You would think that the fiber from the oats and fruit would slow down the hunger? So I am not the only one who thinks this. I will stick to eggs, smoothies or yogurt for breakfast then.

That's funny ... 'stick to your ribs oatmeal' .... I always thought it was the soluble fiber in it they were talking about ... you know, the sponge stuff that firms your stools.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    In the f factor book, she makes oats with bran buds, they have a lot more fiber, 13 grams per 1/3 cup for 80 calories. The oatmeal is 160 calories, 12 protein, 16 fiber. You could easily double this for a very satisfying breakfast with tons of fiber and protein.

https://www.ffactor.com/recipes/berry-branbud-oatmeal/