Need help

Options
I find myself eating when I get bored and I don't know how to stop it. Mostly when I'm at work. I'll grab chips or trail mix. Any suggestions

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Drink water instead or chew gum but eating a snack sized bag of Doritos isn't something to worry about, the calories is less than a cup of healthy whole milk. Enjoy yourself and manage your cravings.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Try to not get bored :# An alternative is to not have edible things available to grab. And then of course decide if your snacking/grazing is a problem - are you gaining weight? Are you getting in sufficient nutrition?
  • Wadeeee
    Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one, my friend. When I restarted my weight loss journey at the beginning of the year, I pitched all of my snacks from my filing cabinet...chips, crackers, chocolate, cans of soup, more chocolate...you get the idea. For me, desk snacking is mindless and I quickly lose control, so I knew that pretty much, everything had to go. Now, the only thing I keep at the office is sugar free coffee creamer, and...drumroll, please...a handful of jaw breakers candy. I'll usually have 1-2 jaw breakers after lunch, and because they are too hard to chew and seemingly last forever, it keeps my tastebuds occupied for a while. At the end of the day, besides whatever I eat for lunch, my daily "office snacking" calorie total is about 125 calories (75 for sugar-free coffee and 50 for hard candy in the afternoon). The only downside, at least for me, is that I must have a dinner plan in place, because when I get home, I'm usually very hungry!

Hope this helps!
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me it’s tea and gum at work. Lots of great flavoured herbal teas, and many many many packs of sugar-free gum. I have a 350 calorie lunch and two 100 calorie snacks (one in the morning, the other in the afternoon) to keep me satiated.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I like to do sunflower seeds. There's a lot of them and it keeps your mouth busy
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had to stop buying chips etc... but substituted nuts and seeds for a bit, then more water and vegi snacks.. good luck.. it's always a struggle with snacking
  • wishes214
    wishes214 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chips is one of my weaknesses. When I get the munchies, I try to fill myself up with water and if I'm still hungry popcorn helps sometimes. Sometimes I just want something crunchy. :)
  • EarthFHS
    EarthFHS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Edamame is a really good, healthy snack food! Plus it usually comes super salty so it still fulfills those salt cravings! Honestly I think I like it better than chips
  • ThisOtherGirl
    ThisOtherGirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to be the worst binge eater you could have ever met! My problem, however, is that I didn’t realize I actually had a problem at all. So, you are definitely a step ahead. My biggest challenge was actually identifying the problem and the reason behind it. Just like you, I was eating mostly because I was bored and it got to a point where I even started feeling hungry at those hours of the days cause I was just so used to munching on something around then. What I do now and has been kinda working for me the past 5 months (lost 53 lbs btw), I have been eating 3 main meals, 3 snacks and drinking at least 1 cup of water/ stevia based syrup/ unsweetened green tea between meals/snacks. I made it a point to wait for at least 2 hours between meals to give my pancreas the opportunity to work. And when I realized “Hmmm I have to wait for another couple of hours to grab my next bite, I decided I’d much rather have something to fill me up the next 2-3 hours such as a piece of fruit (or 2!), a handful of almonds or walnuts with greek yoghurt and a ts of honey, some grilled chicken breasts and yoghurt dressing, I also eat lots of raw vegetables.. I know I probably don’t sound convincing and I understand how difficult it probably sounds to you, but as someone who has been obese since they were 3, believe me, you CAN do it! Just takes practice and time.. MOST IMPORTANT TIP: Don’t be too hard on yourself and good luck ❤️
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I make sure I don't have any money.
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Drink water, flavored water, tea etc.
    If that doesn't work occupy your mouth with something like gum or drops
    Still not working go for "healthier" snacking i.e. popcorn, shelled unsalted sunflower seeds, watermelon, cucumbers etc.
  • mishasmile
    mishasmile Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum, lots of water and healthy snacks on your desk, split for morning and afternoon - fresh fruits, veggies, yoghurts with no fat and lots of protein (icelandic skyr), cottage cheese, raisins, nuts, puffed rice, dark chocolate over 70%, hard boiled eggs...