Trying to get back on track

Options
Hi all. I’ve used this program in the past and I really enjoyed it. I was at my heaviest in 2006 at 240lbs. I went on a strict zero carb diet and I lost 80 lbs in a year. I kept it off for a couple years, but it started to slowly creep up. I started introducing carbs and today I’ve gained almost all of it back. It’s taken a toll on my health. My biggest motivation is my family and being healthy for them so I can be around for the long haul. I don’t want to low carb again as it’s too restrictive and doesn’t help my health issues. My goal is to be somewhere between 160 and 170 lbs. I’ve been trying to monitor my caloric intake and I’ve replaced most of my foods with healthy alternatives. I’d love as many friends as possible so please add me.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hi Mr Frank! Low carb was tough for me too, it was too restrictive. Welcome to MFP :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Welcome :smile:

Consistently log everything you eat and aim to stay within the given calories and you will lose.
    Eat foods you like. Eat for satiety.

Move more and you'll earn extra calories.

A food scale is your best friend from now on :smile: use it to weigh everything you eat.

Aim to lose 2lbs a week.

Expect weight fluctuations to happen, some weeks it will appear that no weight has been lost, hang in there and you will get your whoosh (i.e several puunds gone in a whoosh over night):smile:

Think of this weight loss journey as a marathon not a sprint.

All the best :smile: .
    Ruth
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You did it once, you can do it again!

Good luck, Frank!!

Also, if I may say, you're doing this for your family, but don't forget to do it for yourself, too! You deserve a healthy, active life!

You got this :)
  • Megg82
    Megg82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey! I used this in the past and fell off, I’m back on again for the long haul. The friend option on the app really seems helpful. They didn’t have that when I did MFP before.
    I’ve done the no carb / low carb also. It is too restrictive long term. I trialed it for a week last month, in an attempt to try that keto thang that’s all the rage lol. It was awful. I was hungry all the time, ate a ton of fat calories just because I felt like I could and to try to get rid of the hunger.
    I don’t think it’s good for my body either. I don’t have health issues, it just doesn’t agree with me. Invest in a food scale and measure everything. Anything worth doing is worth doing right :)
    Sending a friend request & motivation your way
  • lburgett478
    lburgett478 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi MrFrank! Welcome back to MyFitnessPal! I have tried several different things as well, this is the plan that has helped me the most, I enjoy the freedom to make my own plan, going to the gym helps a lot too and family support, I can’t wait for nice weather to go for walks with my grandchildren.