Nutritionist suggested 1300 cal leaves me feeling starved

Options
13»

Replies

• garst772
    garst772 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not too sure if this has been said, as I didn't look through all the replys but if you keep eating at 1300 you will literally send your body into starvation. Your body needs AT LEAST that (probably at least 1500/1600) to just function and if you eat at a deficit of that much for a sustained period of time, you will shut down. Not to mention feel like absolute *kitten*. I also used to think eating at that amount was healthy and right and what I needed to lose weight but it just stresses your body. If you're starving - eat. Just make sure it's healthy choices and watch portion control. Your body has hunger signals for a reason.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that you buy a pedometer to see how many steps you are actually getting in without that extra 30 minute walk? You may be getting less than you think. 10,000 steps a day is the standard guideline which is very difficult for most people to accomplish without a dedicated 30 minutes of exercise. I myself take at least one 30 minute walk a day and many times two. It's also very meditative and you may enjoy it more than you think. You may find it replaces your need to relax with a glass of wine, which will also save you calories. If you have company with you, enjoy the time to catch up with them. If you are alone, take some headphones with you and listen to music or a book on tape. Start slowly and work your way up. Take that glass of wine with you on the first few walks if it encourages you.

Also, I can't say I disagree with people's comments about fast food. Back when I used to eat it, it would never fill me up as much as fruits, vegies and whole grains I eat now. If the mornings are rushed for you, start out with small changes that are easy. There are some healthy granola bars out. A batch of steel cut oats cooked on the weekend will last all week. Fruit is easy to eat on the run. My standard breakfast is plain greek or bulgarian yogurt with fruit and about 6 walnuts or almonds.

I think the main thing your nutritionist missed (or you are glossing over :-/) is what you are eating, not the amnt of 1300 calories.
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a healthcare background, so I know that being a CNA is a very physical job and working in a nursing home is not easy. You probably are not consuming enough calories on the days you are working. Can you try increasing it some and plan/cook your meals in advance? If you are working long shifts, planning your meals and workouts in advance would probably help.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Lowering your daily calorie intake makes you think about food. A lot. Thinking about food a lot makes you hungry. And since your body just loves all that fat you’ve been feeding it all those years it now wants to hold onto it, and it is going to resist against your plans. If you fight it, you’re going to lose.

You can’t blame your body though, it doesn’t know you are just trying to shed a few pounds. It might actually believe you’re starving and so tries to protect you from your ignorant self (or in your case: your ignorant dietician). Your mind knows better, but that one just plays along with your body. It’s a pact. So blame your mind? Maybe, but then again, the poor little thing is just victim to all kinds of bodily processes that are a result of your deficiency: cortisol exhaustion, adrenal fatigue, metabolic imbalance. You name it.

So if you’re not going to win by fighting, what to do? Join it? No. Then what? The answer is simple...

Trick it!

Yup, you heard right. You must trick your body into believing nothing weird is going on. It will make you feel a hell of a lot better too, and the absence of food stress will even boost your results!

Most dieters get it all wrong. They think: the less I’ll eat, the more I’ll lose. Ha! Just read the zillion posts about failure on this forum. “Eating 1200 calories and not losing.” “What am I doing wrong?” “I’m about to give up” “I don’t get it anymore” “How come I’m on this plateau?” And then you’ve got the poor souls who write comments like “Eat less” “Exercise more” “It’s water weight, don’t worry” and my favorite: “You’re probably gaining muscle”.

Your own dietician probably belongs to this last group. Start by throwing him and his method overboard and start tricking your body. It has helped me to perfectly keep my weight for a year now, so something must be right about it. I’m never hungry. I can go to McDonalds, Pizza hut, KFC. I eat ice cream, chocolate, snickers. I refuse to have my body or mind control me, but I control them. Yes, just be a devious trickster!
  • Gbajon80
    Options
    I feel like I have a lot of muscle because I feel solid, but the body fat test say that I'm at 40% body fat, and I am not very large, just heavy. I have always been much heavier than I look though, so I am not sure of those tests.
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, sorry - not wanting to be rude here, but your food diary is open and the quality of your food choices is not going to do you any favors. No need to starve - I don't believe in deprivation. My own personal motto is to eat the maximum amount of calories possible yet still lose weight or maintain, depending on where I'm at. But I'm always trying to improve my diet and my fitness for my health's sake. If you can get on board with that kind of thinking you'll start seeing and feeling positive changes. Good luck!

& check out Scooby! http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have learned a lot about me on this journey of weight loss and I can tell you what works for me might not necessarily work for you or your lifestyle. I went to a nutritionist and her #1 goal was to find a diet that worked for ME. I have a gluten allergy, was borderline diabetic and high blood pressure. She took all my likes, dislikes, lifestyle, and medical issues into consideration and WE came up with a healthy eating plan with an aggressive, but safe weight loss rate. I stuck with a 1200-1300 cal diet by choice. I could have used 1500 calories with a slower rate of loss. Yes I did fell a bit hungry and still do. To maintain I eat 1400-1500 cals and when I go over and put on a few pounds I go right back to 1200 cals and get it off. For me I also discovered that even when I ate sugary foods I still wanted more and was still "hungry" even if I ate 3000 calories of bad foods. I discovered that eating the right foods and counting calories keeps me knowing that I am not starving. I have an aggressive workout program now, but I didn't start out that way .I started a 15 mins walking on the treadmill. I now run 5-7 miles plus swim for an hour everyday and lift weights 3 days a week. The more weight I lost, the better I felt and wanted to exercise more. I also garden, do household chores, and maintain an active life.

You are AWESOME !!! Thank you for sharing.

I would take advice from this woman and
    yes, totally AWESOME!!!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Register at caloriecount.com, and sign up for the newsletter. It's not as good a site as this one, so do your logging here, but I've gotten some great recipes and information from the newsletter.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It is no wonder you feel like you are starving and don't feel like you have the energy to walk....look at your food diary. You are eating complete crap food. You might as well load up all the change in your pockets and just eat out of a vending machine.

This is what your day looks like so far:

Mcdonald's - Sausage Mcgriddles
    Mcdonalds - Medium Coffee, 1 Cream, 4 Sugar, 1 container (Coffee..that's fine but 4 sugars?)
    Generic - Bottled Water x 3 (About the only good choice for the day so far)
    Ritz Bits - Cheese Snack Package, 1 oz. (Would be great for a snack...but oh, wait, that's actually your lunch?)
    Hershey's - Special Dark Miniatures, 1
    Hershey's Miniatures - Assorted Bag - Mr. Goodbar, Krackel, Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate
    Lifesavers - Hard Candy - Variety, 2 candies

You can't honestly look at that and even remotely think that this is ok and the problem must be with your nutritionist.

Fill your day up with quality calories instead of this crap and you will find you will have a ton more energy and not be hungry at all. Why the hell would you spend money on a nutritionist if you are still going to eat half your meals from McDonalds?
  • omarluna3
    Options
    Its always better to go to bed while hungry than being full.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that what you eat is also an important factor. Try substituting a meal or snack that is high in fats with one that is more nutritionally balanced. It's never easy losing weight no matter you're situation, age, or how much you want to lose. That's why it's great we have a place like this so we can all help each other out not matter what. Hang in there, it'll get easier.

ditto. Add lots of fruits and veggies and drop off some of the high calorie foods that have little substance. Try choosing more unprocessed and unfried foods to your diet.
  • elizamac123
    Options
    what your nutritionist should have done is tell you to start eating healthy foods. why she instead suggested you go on a low-calorie diet is beyond me. you can easily eat more calories than that, you just have to eat better. more fruits and vegetables, less mcdonalds.
  • oceansablue
    Options
    Also keep in mind that what you eat is also an important factor. Try substituting a meal or snack that is high in fats with one that is more nutritionally balanced. It's never easy losing weight no matter you're situation, age, or how much you want to lose. That's why it's great we have a place like this so we can all help each other out not matter what. Hang in there, it'll get easier.

Yes what one eats is important, but promoting lowering fat is BAD advice, unless you meant canola, soy, trans fats. Our bodies NEED fat (far more than 30%) and fat promotes satiety. And yes, losing weight can be easy, speaking from experience (I said "easy" not "fast"). If anything should be lowered it would likely be sugars and processed grains-assuming the OP is following a "balanced" Standard American Diet.

OP: You definitely need to eat more since you are very active, and even if you weren't. Unfortunately most nutritionists are following the status quo of "calories in, calories out" and have very little understanding of metabolism. The body is far more complex than that and under-eating is detrimental to health. Even if you lose weight in the short term it would likely not be sustainable. Yo yoing is more damaging than just staying a bit over-weight.

I know I'm replying to this late but I've been very busy lately. I know how important fat is to a diet and didn't mean it quite so literally. It was just very late when I wrote this and I poorly worded it. Sorry about the confusion.