kazgorat1 wrote: »
    sam2018100 wrote: »
    cmh308 wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    kazgorat1 wrote: »
    Maybe you should speak to your doctor about this.

I haven't seen my doctor since I was a teenager, many years ago. I don't intend to go see her now, she's unhelpful and rude. I want to help myself, before I regain all the weight back.

If the current doctor you have is unhelpful and rude, you should probably find a different one. You should be getting an annual physical where they do standard blood work. Sometimes, they find things in the lab work that indicate something is not right, and waiting before getting treatment can severely limit options.

I don't even think they do checkups, not for people my age. Think that's for people 50+, or maybe 40+ in the UK. I've never had a reason to go thankfully, so I've just kept her.

Wtf? You're trying to tel me they don't have women doing a Pap smear until after 40 or 50?! I call b.s.

Perhaps they do, but I think it would be the nurse you'd see, not doctor. Also, I'm 21 so they don't for my age.

Yes, they do. I saw my NHS doctor (not a nurse) once a year for a wellness visit and to check on my perscription when I lived in the UK. Something is not adding up here.

The last time I saw my doctor was when I was 13/14, when I first joined up. I've rarely been sick, maybe the odd cold/flu, and I never take medication, not even paracetamol. I have never been since and have never been invited to a checkup. Even if I was, I would refuse. I don't like people invading my private space, I would never choose to go unless I was terribly unwell. Just the way some people are.

Ok, it's your decision. What I will say is that continuing to try lose weight once you are at a healthy weight can lead to all kinds of permanent health problems. The best advice I can give you is either accept yourself as you are now, or make it a priority to get to the gym on a regular basis. Maybe find a friend who can go with you to make the passing of the time easier.

Losing more weight isn't going to get you what you want, and may likely bring a host of health problems that you don't want or need...some of which are irreversible.

Agreed! IMHO
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I see what you're saying, I agree with it, but I only wish I could somehow get myself to do what I know I should.
    I've never been at maintenance. Not at 107 lbs as I still wanted to lose more weight, so I was still eating 1300 calories. When I binge eat, it's often a punishment of sorts for allowing myself to be as fat as I am, to be still trying to lose weight so many years on. I desperately do want to stop binge eating and I think the only way forward would be to exercise, allowing me a bit more calories so I don't constantly feel so hungry. When I gain weight, it's never in increments. I can't do 'normal eating' at maintenance as you suggest, not when I still have weight to lose. Also, I don't quite know what that is and when I did the 2-week diet break, it only resulted in further binge eating. Allowing regain is out of the question.

@VintageFeline @collectingblues @Nony_Mouse

May I add? @singingflutelady
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am joining the gym, will increase my calories and hopefully will be able to stick to it for longer this time around. Perhaps I'll aim for between 3-6 days of exercise, instead of 5 days every week.

To the people who 'wooed' all of my comments. I don't quite understand why that is, but I feel sorry for you. If you are unwilling to help, then please move on.

If I refuse to see a doctor, it is my choice. I'm not a hypochondriac, I can deal with a little pain and don't wish to waste other people's time. I also don't believe in taking any medication unless it is absolutely essential. So if that is somehow offensive to people here, so be it. I'm not reliant on medication like so many others and never wish to be, when my time is up, it's up.

You have been gaining weight, you don't need to increase calories. You should determine your surplus, average gain per week and cut back to maintenance and I think you should maintain for an extended period of time till you work all these issues out. I hate that you did not notice any of the helpful information in this thread.

And going back from an extended gym break, up to 6 days will indeed overwhelm anyone. And performing exercise for just the sake of weight loss is a short term solution to a long term problem.

I don't see where anyone said you were a hypochondriac, where did this come from? :neutral:
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My husband put off going for a physical for years because we didn't have insurance even though he felt like *kitten* most of the time. By the times i got him to go and he found out he was diabetic the damage was done. He has neuropathy in his feet from it. He can barely walk most days and is on 5 prescriptions. Yearly checkups and bloodwork are preventative to avoid permanent problems later. And yes pap tests are a must for women in their 20's. Both times I have had an abnormal one was when i was early 20's. This year will be mammogram and colonoscopy (because of family history). I definatly don't want to die at 49 like my grandmother.
    11718100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am joining the gym, will increase my calories and hopefully will be able to stick to it for longer this time around. Perhaps I'll aim for between 3-6 days of exercise, instead of 5 days every week.

To the people who 'wooed' all of my comments. I don't quite understand why that is, but I feel sorry for you. If you are unwilling to help, then please move on.

If I refuse to see a doctor, it is my choice. I'm not a hypochondriac, I can deal with a little pain and don't wish to waste other people's time. I also don't believe in taking any medication unless it is absolutely essential. So if that is somehow offensive to people here, so be it. I'm not reliant on medication like so many others and never wish to be, when my time is up, it's up.

You have been gaining weight, you don't need to increase calories. You should determine your surplus, average gain per week and cut back to maintenance and I think you should maintain for an extended period of time till you work all these issues out. I hate that you did not notice any of the helpful information in this thread.

And going back from an extended gym break, up to 6 days will indeed overwhelm anyone. And performing exercise for just the sake of weight loss is a short term solution to a long term problem.

I don't see where anyone said you were a hypochondriac, where did this come from? :neutral:

I'm trying to eat 1300 calories, losing weight at a rate of 1 lb every 2-3 weeks - that is too low for me, as I am hungry at night, hence the temptation to binge. I gain weight when I binge, not by eating 1300 calories. So, if I workout, I should get to increase my calories right?

As to the hypochondriac comments, it seems people have taken offence to my refusal to bother the NHS with constant checkups - because others choose to do so, they perhaps think that every other person should too.

It's been about 3 months since I worked out. I can get back into it pretty quickly. I will be going between 3-6 days. Although I'm thinking I'll go gym around 3-4 days, workout at home if I feel like it, other days.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options

I'm trying to eat 1300 calories, losing weight at a rate of 1 lb every 2-3 weeks - that is too low for me, as I am hungry at night, hence the temptation to binge. I gain weight when I binge, not by eating 1300 calories. So, if I workout, I should get to increase my calories right?

As to the hypochondriac comments, it seems people have taken offence to my refusal to bother the NHS with constant checkups - because others choose to do so, they perhaps think that every other person should too.

It's been about 3 months since I worked out. I can get back into it pretty quickly. I will be going between 3-6 days. Although I'm thinking I'll go gym around 3-4 days, workout at home if I feel like it, other days.[/quote]

Yes, if you work out you will get to eat back the calories. It definitely helps being able to eat more :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Closed for moderation
This discussion has been closed.