Low Carb/ High Fat diet advice please

Options
JodesP93
JodesP93 Posts: 24 Member
edited February 2018 in Food and Nutrition
So i’ve tried the calorie counting staying in a deflict and using my fitbit, but its just not working the weight isn’t budging so ive come to the conclusion my body just doesn’t like carbs. Ive been at it a while now tried lots of diets its juts not happening the only thing i haven’t tried is low carb.
So i dont want to be on a ‘keto diet’ because it jusy wouldn’t be sustainable for me but I was thinking of doing moderate low carb so 50-90g a day, but my question is should i go low fat or high fat? i’ll still make sure i’m at a calorie deficit i’d rather do moderate fat so im less hungry im just worried if im not in ketosis my body would store the fat, but surely if i’m at a deflict and only eating that amount of carbs my body should start to shift the weight?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Whatever fat amount you want. Calorie deficit is where weight is lost. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The body uses glucose (carbs) or fat for energy. If you are reducing carbs, you'll mainly want to replace it with fats unless your protein needs a boost too.

Your body should not store the fat you eat as fat unless you are eating too much. If you are eating at a deficit, you will be using some body fat for fuel and burning the carbs and fats you eat.

I suggest starting with protein. Make sure you are getting more than your minimum needs - moderate protein. If you are at all active, and hoping to preserve lean tissue, you should probably eating over 70g of protein - but over 90g is probably better. That's 250-400+ kcals of protein which could be 20-30% of your calories.

Then try not to exceed your carb ceiling, which you set at about 90g, or about 360 kcal.

The rest of your calories can be fat, or a bit more protein if you want it.

Consider consuming more sodium when you drop your carb level. When carbs fall, insulin drops, and the body will not retain as much water or sodium. You will need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day to replace the electrolytes you lost. (There are 2300 mg sodium in a teaspoon of salt.) If you get headaches, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, BM issues, or muscle aches, you need more sodium. A lot more.

As mentioned, weighing your food is smart and might help you make sure you are not accidentally eating too much.

Good luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JodesP93 wrote: »
    So i’ve tried the calorie counting staying in a deflict and using my fitbit, but its just not working the weight isn’t budging so ive come to the conclusion my body just doesn’t like carbs. Ive been at it a while now tried lots of diets its juts not happening the only thing i haven’t tried is low carb.
    So i dont want to be on a ‘keto diet’ because it jusy wouldn’t be sustainable for me but I was thinking of doing moderate low carb so 50-90g a day, but my question is should i go low fat or high fat? i’ll still make sure i’m at a calorie deficit i’d rather do moderate fat so im less hungry im just worried if im not in ketosis my body would store the fat, but surely if i’m at a deflict and only eating that amount of carbs my body should start to shift the weight?

How long were you tracking calories? Did you use a food scale? How long did you try each "diet". What are your stats? Do you workout, and if so, what is your plan?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    JodesP93 wrote: »

How long were you tracking calories? Did you use a food scale? How long did you try each "diet". What are your stats? Do you workout, and if so, what is your plan?

This^

Low carb weight loss is still going to be about tracking calories, because all weight loss is about calorie deficit (not carbs). A digital food scale is going to be the most accurate measurement. If you are close to goal, your daily deficit will be small. If you are close to goal weekly weight loss will be slow. Accurate food measurement is really important.

Ketosis doesn't "shift" stored fat unless you are eating at a calorie deficit. But even then, that doesn't make ketosis unique because EVERY diet will have you shifting stored fat when you are eating at a deficit. Fat stores are energy....if you aren't taking in calories to "cover" your maintenance calories....your body uses fat stores.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You still have be in a caloric deficit even if you're low-carb or keto.

There's nothing magical about removing carbs from your diet that negates the laws of energy balance. Regardless of the macro composition of the foods you eat, you'll gain weight if you eat more calories than you burn and you'll lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn. How many carbs you eat and whether or not you're in ketosis have absolutely nothing to do with it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Every time I've tried to lower my carbs below 100g a day, it leads to binges and unhealthy eating behaviors. I'm happily eating gobs of carbs and unintentionally lower fat. I work to reach my protein goal every day, and I religiously weigh my portions on a food scale so I know I'm within my calorie goal.

As long as I do the part in bold, whether I've had 5lbs to lose or 50lbs to lose, the weight comes off.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    FatBob2018 wrote: »
    Here is what is working for me: whatever calorie count you have set for your height and weight make it 50 gram net of carbs 30%, 100 gram protein 20%, fat 70%.

What?

Every person will have different grams of C/F/P. You can't just randomly throw out *your* numbers and expect that will work for (for instance) a 130 pound woman and a 300 pound man.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Here's my philosophy on the matter: if I don't intend to do it for the rest of my life I won't do it to lose weight.

Just something to ponder...