Goal Setting

How does everyone set goals? Short term/long term/ incentives?

Replies

• sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    I set mine as lightly active (I hop on the treadmill 3x weekly and lift lightly weights), set to lose 1 pound per week and I set my calories at around 1540 a day. Long term goal; 36 more pounds to lose. I’m down 14. Starting weight 186, cw 171, goal 135. In terms of incentives, I’ve been using cute new clothes and pedis/manis as short term incentives.
  • jessicaallen1996
    jessicaallen1996 Posts: 50 Member
    So, follow-up question. Do you say I want to be X weight by Y date, or do you not specifically say
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,244 Member
    So, follow-up question. Do you say I want to be X weight by Y date, or do you not specifically say

I never do that. It puts unnecessary pressure on me. I don't mind eating at maintanance from time to time and when I feel like it or when life happens. Sometimes I eat above maintanance.
    What I aim for (short term goal) is to stay at a small deficit but feel full at the same time. Works most days. Some days it doesn't but no biggie. I've been doing it for 2 years now so I can say it is sustainable for me. I've lost almost 20% of my weight.
    My insentive is mainly the mirror. Also jeans sizes. My long term goal is to get to where I was 5 years ago which is now 8lbs away.
  • joopy2017
    joopy2017 Posts: 3 Member
    what's a good snack before bed build muscle and six pack?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    joopy2017 wrote: »
    what's a good snack before bed build muscle and six pack?

You might want to start your own discussion for this question - since it's unrelated to the original inquiry, you probably won't get many good answers.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    My first go around with MFP, I had one goal: lose 50lbs. I made it roughly nine months and nearly 30lbs lost of that 50, but then stalled and gave up. Now, I'm focusing on smaller increments and taking it easy when I like. So, my current goals are 10lb losses. They seem so much more attainable.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,181 Member
    Set goals for things you can directly control.

Create a 250 Cal deficit is a goal.

Lose 0.5lbs a week which is a result that should but doesn't always follow the creation of a 250Cal deficit is a much worse goal.