How To Record Workouts

Options
I'm not asking how to log the exercise in MFP. The question is how do you record the sets and reps in strength training workouts in order to track progress, set goals, etc? In another thread someone recommended Jefit.com. I registered for a free account there but couldn't find the specific exercises prescribed by the trainer who set up the program for me.
Started workouts last week and set up a google spreadsheet this evening that does the trick, I guess. This is what I've got so far with separate sheets for Chest & Shoulders and Legs. Each rep is a separate row and a set is all the rows with the same date. No doubt there are better ways but having no experience in the matter, I'm looking for suggestions and/or samples in the way of screenprints or templates.
8cf9g4ldl4t7.png
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• RichNY73
    RichNY73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use a app called fitlist , pretty basic but gets the job done .
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I use the BodySpace app through bodybuilding.com. Been using it for years.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit and would recommend that you take a look at it again. I found that the website version allowed me to find nearly every imaginable exercise that is normally done. You just have to get used to the specific syntax Jefit uses.

I tend to use the system exercises that start with Barbell or Dumbbell.

On the Jefit website, go to My Logs, choose a date to start a log. Under Session Summary, click Add Workout Logs. Under Favorites tab, click All. To search through the list, on your web browser open the Find (CTRL-F) function. Browse through the list for a keyword, such as "curl." You will find 171 entries that have the word "curl" in them. Scroll through that list and choose one that comes closest to what you are doing. Repeat for other keywords.

Elsewhere on the site, there are diagrams and detailed description of most if not all of the System Exercises. It really is worth it to spend an hour up front to find and log the System Exercises.

Once you have logged them, they will be under the Recent Exercises > All tab.

cbi7a7rn1ai9.jpg
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Jefit from me.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I use Rep Scheme.
    There is a timer, you can save a session as a workout and use it every week, when you go to put in your numbers for the week what you did the week before is in light gray, so you can make sure you are getting progressive overload. It gives you stats in weekly volume, 1rms and volume PRs.

That said, before I even log a day there everything as far as compound lifts is laid out in excel for 8-13 weeks in advance. I just like entering what I actually did elsewhere because the google sheet is so tiny.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've tried several of the apps, and I still find that my favorite method is a notebook and a pen.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I've tried several of the apps, and I still find that my favorite method is a notebook and a pen.

I'm a paper and pencil person too. I was reluctant to move to an app. I just travel around so much during the day and couldn't bring my notebook with me all the time. And I can't leave it at the gym because I need it on me to review.