Is around 200 carbs/day considered as a lot??

Options
Hello,

Could you guys please check my food diary and suggest if I am taking in too much of carbs?

I am in my 3rd month of work out and have just lost 8 pounds in last 2 months where as I was expecting more due to big change in eating habits.

I weighed myself yesterday after a week and noticed that I gained 1 pound so now after 2.5 months my exact weight loss is 7 pounds. Not sure if its muscle or is it due to my irregular workout habits.

I am 5'3". Was weighing 186lbs and now I weigh 179lbs. I still have around 36lbs more to lose.

If I lose at this slow pace then I guess it will take me an year to reach my goal.

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 1-2 lbs is fine. If you stall for 4 weeks in your weight, lower your calories. That simple.

Don't worry about a stall for 1 or 2 weeks. Be patient.

Carb's also hold water, which makes your weight fluctuate a lot, don't worry about that.
  • VanillaBean21
    Options
    Hey =) you should try to lower your carbs to somewhere around 165. Don't worry about the weight gain most of the time it's just water weight and it's temporary. As long as you're following your diet plan you should be fine. Best of luck!
  • VanillaBean21
    Options
    I'm not trying to be anyone's doctor here. This person ASKED for a suggestion and I simply gave her one. Ease down on the judgement kid I don't see an MD degree
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I'm not trying to be anyone's doctor here. This person ASKED for a suggestion and I simply gave her one. Ease down on the judgement kid I don't see an MD degree

An MD degree has no impact on any of this. Doctors, Nutritionists, Personal Trainers are all clueless in the grand scheme of things. Sad that you live in a world of "if they have a qualification they must know everything". :)

good day
  • VanillaBean21
    Options
    Sad that you're not helping this person instead of jumpinh on my case as if you've been with my since day one of my journey. I think that 50 lbs lost in two years is perfectly fine I'm doing extremely well in my opinion. But alas I can't please everyone can I? haha good day to you too sir
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat around 200-300 grams of carbohydrates per day and I've lost 93 lbs in 5 months. People have been eating high-carb, low-fat diets for thousands of years with staples such as rice, wheat and other grains. My diet has worked so well for me that I have gone from barely able to maintain a brisk walk to seriously pursuing sports. (Baseball and cycling) I had a 50 mile ride a few weeks ago and have never been in the kind of shape to complete that kind of distance. I just bought a new bike and have my eyes set on my first century. I ride nearly every day, 400 miles last month in total.

I eat on average around 1500 calories per day, but I know I will have to increase that when my weight loss is complete to have the energy to continue to pursue sports the way that I am.

I eat a plant-based diet that excludes all animal products. Recently I have also been avoiding added oils and use water to sautee food instead. It has worked remarkably well for me and I feel better than I ever have in my life.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options

An MD degree has no impact on any of this. Doctors, Nutritionists, Personal Trainers are all clueless in the grand scheme of things.

What kind of stratospheric qualifications do you have to make such a blanket statement?
  • VanillaBean21
    Options
    Why exactly are you so obsessed with everything I have to say again? haha
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs under 50. And I've lost 28lbs since April. I believe you will have to play around with your numbers, cut the numbers slowly, weigh yourself weekly. And if you don't see the numbers on the scale go down, then take a little more off your carb intake. Baby steps. I also just walk. No high cardio workouts. So I know the weight loss would have been more significant if I did workout harder. But I bought an elliptical 2 days ago, so I'm hoping for more progress. Of course this is what worked for me, it will be different for others. Good Luck!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out for weight loss, in my case macro balance hasn't played a huge part, but you must make sure you don't have too large a deficit because a) your body does need calories to function, b) it's not sustainable and c) as soon as you go back to eating a "normal" diet/ want to transition to maintenance you will start to gain back the weight you have lost.
    Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and work out how much you should be eating and try to reach that goal before you worry too much about macros :flowerforyou:
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

An MD degree has no impact on any of this. Doctors, Nutritionists, Personal Trainers are all clueless in the grand scheme of things.

What kind of stratospheric qualifications do you have to make such a blanket statement?

I have a large, large base of knowledge. Not gained through reading out-dated text books and passing a few exams which require a tick or a cross to pass.

Good day.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    No one's being detrimental sir. You have NO idea what my diet consists of, what I eat, or how much I work out so maybe you should stop ASSuming sir. But I do have to give it to you. You sure are funny

Regardless, your advice was poor - so what is your point?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why exactly are you so obsessed with everything I have to say again? haha

Identifying bad advice and then labeling it as such for other people while taking the time to explain why its bad is hardly a sign of obsession.

What I don't get is why you couldn't just go 'you're right, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, an arbitrary reduction of carbs by 35g is meaningless.' And move on.
  • VanillaBean21
    Options
    LMAO what a joke
  • VanillaBean21
    Options
    Not everyone eats the same amount of carbs just because I don't eat the same carbs as you doesn't make it bad. This person asked a question and I suggested it. Period.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Not everyone eats the same amount of carbs just because I don't eat the same carbs as you doesn't make it bad. This person asked a question and I suggested it. Period.

Do what YOU want. But your SUGGESTION, was bad.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I weighed myself yesterday after a week and noticed that I gained 1 pound so now after 2.5 months my exact weight loss is 7 pounds. Not sure if its muscle or is it due to my irregular workout habits.

It's definitely not muscle, you can't build muscle on such a huge deficit. 1lb is nothing at all to worry about, don't get obsessive, it could be water weight or stomach contents etc