Losing Weight is Hard!

Options
I feel like I’m on an emotional roller coaster and I’m having a hard time sticking to my plan. I’ve lost about 40 lbs so far since June 2017 and my plan it to ditch another 40 lbs at a reasonable rate of 1-2 lbs per week. I’m currently 220 lbs, 44 yrs, female, 5’7”. Some days I weigh, measure, and log and feel good. My spouse is very supportive. Lately I seem to find some reason to rationalize eating too much or making food and drink choices that are self-sabotaging. And of course since I’m not sticking totlalyto plan, my weight loss has stalled. I know what I need to do to lose the weight. Why is it so difficult to stay the course so I can succeed in reaching my goal!?!?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any breaks? It's good both mentally and physically to take a diet break, now and again.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Do you track the days you go over your number?
  • stubbornloser
    stubbornloser Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did take a break at Christmas for two days and then again for a week beginning of this month while on vacation. I will read over the resources in the link you provided. Thanks so much for the info!
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why is it you want to lose another 40lbs?

What is it that you want to be able to do? The reason we self sabotage is that we don't have a clear goal of what it is we want to be able to do when we get to the target weight, otherwise it's just a number (and truth be told it might not even be the right number).

Sit down with your spouse and take some time to figure out what you will do together once you get to a certain level of loss/fitness. Make a concrete, time bound plan, that's at a realistic rate of loss, and commit to it. Don't make it just the number on the floor, that loses its motivational power.

Now whenever you have the siren call of the food and drink you can look at it and say, "hmmm, that's going to stop me doing XYZ, is it worth it?"
  • stubbornloser
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Do you track the days you go over your number?
    No, not tracking on the days I’m over - that’s my struggle. I’m having an psychological struggle with it all. I know what works, I’ve done what works. Emotional and mentally I’ve hit a wall, and I’m trying to work through it. Almost feels the same as quitting smoking- so hard to stay the course.

• stubbornloser
    Options
    Why is it you want to lose another 40lbs?
    To improve my long term health outcomes. To avoid diabetes and heart disease. To feel good. To improve my mobility, as I have knee and back issues.
    I understand SMART goal setting too.
    I think I need to vent a bit and to say, or rather scream, “ THIS IS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I HAVE EVER DONE!”
    Lol
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    “ THIS IS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I HAVE EVER DONE!”

With you on that.

So if it's for mobility issues, for example, imagine being able to walk easier. Get that image of not hauling around an additional 40lbs. Go and pack a bag with 40lbs of stuff and see what it feels like and imagine being able to take that off your knees.

Yes it's hard, but so is walking around with that extra weight every day.

Look how far you've already come, the rest, whilst hard, is doable if you can find it in yourself.