Kombucha - benefits?

Does anyone drink Kombucha drinks? Have you noticed any benefits? I am told they are good for keeping your digestive system in sync and can help with other ailments. Also, how does it taste?

Replies

• cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    I like it from time to time. However, it can taste/smell like vinegar, so that's probably a downside for some people! It is supposed to be good for digestion due to the active cultures, but I think it's more of a trendy thing than a cure-all - but hey, to each their own.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    I drink kombucha all the time. I don't drink soda (too sweet tasting for me) and can't drink alcohol during the week (won't wake up early enough to lift) so I drink kombucha. I guess it has probiotics, but so does yogurt.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Started drinking 1/2 cup a day a few weeks ago. I can't digest yogurt so I thought I would try it because of the probiotics. I have acid reflux and was told by someone with the same condition that they do not use their medication anymore because of kombucha. I am very skeptical but I thought I would give it a try. I have been feeling better digestive wise, however I believe it is too soon to tell. I am seeing my gastroenterologist next month and will discuss the subject with him.
  • 2Luverly
    2Luverly Posts: 143 Member
    I drink GT's Organic & Raw "Gingerade" flavour when I can get it on sale. Maybe consume it 4 times a month/1 per week. I find it really "gets things moving" if ya know what I mean. I've cut back on eating yogurt so this has (I think) been a good replacement to get in some probiotics. Pretty low cal per bottle (tastier than my flavoured soda water and better than me swigging back yet another coffee). I've always really enjoyed Ginger so that's the flavour I've been purchasing. I should try a couple of other flavours too ... to expand my horizons a bit. I do agree... the smell isn't the best. My husband says the smell lingers. LOL
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2018
    If you're buying them just for the benefits, you're just wasting money. Drink it because you like the taste, not just for the benefits. A clean healthy well balanced diet will give you all the benefits that your body needs.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    It's a probiotic. I brew my own. I had an early batch that was vinegary, hell it was vinegar. If it hadn't gotten any better I'd have quit trying. My 2 most recent batches have been, at least to me, delightful. My wife put a drop from a recent batch in her mouth and retched. She does that with coconut, too. And milk. She's not the best judge of taste.

There are lots of ways to get probiotics. Do we know what probiotics you need? I don't know. Your gut bacteria are important, but good science is not strong on it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I don't notice anything from consuming it. I like it and have a friend that is the Owner of Baba's Brew. She makes some delicious flavors. It is probiotic but I don't have any gut health issues or imbalance and haven't taken many antibiotics that might impact that over the last 15 years.
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Thanks everyone - I just went to Trader Joes and bought 2 bottles of Trilogy - hopefully I can get past the smell!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    I hope you like it! If you do like it, it’s super easy and incredibly cheap to brew your own.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    I drink it because I like the taste and it's fizzy. I've brewed my own in the past, pretty easy to do.
  • doyl0589
    doyl0589 Posts: 2 Member
    I like it a lot for probiotics, and I find that some flavors give me energy. I’d rather drink calories with something positive in it, which I gain from this. Sometimes, it replaces a cup of coffee or is great blended into a smoothie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    alcomer wrote: »
    Does anyone drink Kombucha drinks? Have you noticed any benefits? I am told they are good for keeping your digestive system in sync and can help with other ailments. Also, how does it taste?

One of my daughters has suffered from mild-moderate constipation throughout her life. Since she started drinking kombucha daily she has become very regular. It taste pretty good.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    It'll give you instant street cred with hipsters or the real housewives of wherever.