Options
2»

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have malabsoption
    I take a multivitamin twice a day as per doctors instructions
    I take a calcium/vitamin d suppliment as I was seriously deficient last year when blood work was done, I was also on iron as I was anemic but off that now
    I have 12 weekly bow injections as I'm unable to absorb it via diet
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When they say this they are likely talking about multivitamins, which are likely unnecessary unless you have a diagnosed deficiency.

There's a good deal of data supporting fish oil as the Western diet is typically lacking Omega3s. Glucosamine / chondroitin has some solid supporting data as well. I take both of these as I know my diet is lacking and it's a cheap risk mitigator.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    When they say this they are likely talking about multivitamins, which are likely unnecessary unless you have a diagnosed deficiency.

There's a good deal of data supporting fish oil as the Western diet is typically lacking Omega3s. Glucosamine / chondroitin has some solid supporting data as well. I take both of these as I know my diet is lacking and it's a cheap risk mitigator.

This is what I've heard as well. That said, given that this discussion is happening on a board largely focused on weight-loss, I think it's important to note that the "they're just expensive pee" answer would be correct if the question was "do vitamins and supplements help with weight loss?"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin D3...diagnosed deficiency without it

Salmon fish oil...I typically eat quite a bit of fish, but not a lot of tuna and salmon about once per week...lots of cod and shrimp

Dr Best Magnesium 100% chelated...a suggestion from my trainer for some regular cramping issues I had going on.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

This is what I've heard as well. That said, given that this discussion is happening on a board largely focused on weight-loss, I think it's important to note that the "they're just expensive pee" answer would be correct if the question was "do vitamins and supplements help with weight loss?"

Excellent clarification. Supplements have no primary impact on weight loss. It may have a secondary impact if nutrition aids exercise which aids your caloric output.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I base it on micronutrients lacking in MFP. Normally I lack in iron and Vit A, so take those. However, have had a lot of Vit A in my diet today so will skip it. Also take omega 3 tablets simply because I don’t eat enough oily fish.

I need to get some Vit D tabs just because I’m struggling with the lack of sunshine a bit.

So yes, track to see what you lack and go from there, because otherwise you do end up with expensive pee.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I enjoy MFP forums as much for the unintended irony as anything else. Folks discussing hipster protein and other expensive supplements ad nauseam while congratulating themselves on being so much wiser than somebody who spends a few cents on a One-A-Day type multi-vitamin. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I enjoy MFP forums as much for the unintended irony as anything else. Folks discussing hipster protein and other expensive supplements ad nauseam while congratulating themselves on being so much wiser than somebody who spends a few cents on a One-A-Day type multi-vitamin. :)

To be fair, we are saying here that there is no reason to supplement something you don't know you're falling short on. And that's exactly what I've seen in threads about protein powders - they're a waste if you are already getting enough protein in your food. In fact, i learned here that if you are eating enough protein, protein powder just gives you expensive pee. Have you seen differently?

Having said that, it's easier to tell from just logging here if you are short on protein, as opposed to vitamins which you really need bloodwork to tell the story.

What expensive supplements do you see being positively discussed here in the forums?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Well I'm not taking them for weight loss but for general health. :)