Gaining weight why ??

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There's your answer - two weeks is not enough time...keep going and have patience.

^This. Body weight fluctuates from day to day and we often hold onto a little extra water weight when we start a new exercise routine or ramp up an old one, start new eating habits, etc. This can hide fat loss that's still happening in the background. Give your body a little bit to catch up to the changes you're making before you make a lot of changes.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight that means you're not eating at a deficit based on what you said. If in the two weeks you're gaining weight what I'm saying is correct. Log better, and eat the calorie amount suggested by MFP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight that means you're not eating at a deficit based on what you said. If in the two weeks you're gaining weight what I'm saying is correct. Log better, and eat the calorie amount suggested by MFP.

two weeks is not enough time to gauge if its true weight gain. it can depend on where she is in her cycle,if she ate a lot of sodium and water retention from that as well as exercising more. it can depend on a lot of things. she does need to be more accurate and give it a month or two and then see whether she is gaining or losing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer don’t me not to eat the calories I earn from doing exercise ?

Does your personal trainer know how MFP works?
  • lisajames925
    lisajames925 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes she uses it herself
  • lisajames925
    Options
    So should I be eating what I burn off to ?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,522 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat half of it as calorie burn from exercise is a massive guess. Evaluate in a few weeks: loosing weight too fast then eat more. Not losing weight: your measuring is probably off or your workout calories far too high.
  • lisajames925
    Options
    That’s what her personal trainer tells her from the gym. I measure the calories from exercise on fit bit
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    That’s what her personal trainer tells her from the gym. I measure the calories from exercise on fit bit

Does your personal trainer have training in nutrition? Did they set you a custom goal or tell you to use MFP's goals?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

It might also be because FitBit tends to overestimate calories burned. I've had to disconnect mine from MFP. But I also bumped myself up to a different activity level to counteract that. Your trainer may have done that as well.

Keep in mind that two weeks may mean that you're retaining water, that it's that time of the month, or that you ate something very salty.

Relax. Trust the process. Check back in three weeks.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

It might also be because FitBit tends to overestimate calories burned. I've had to disconnect mine from MFP. But I also bumped myself up to a different activity level to counteract that. Your trainer may have done that as well.

Keep in mind that two weeks may mean that you're retaining water, that it's that time of the month, or that you ate something very salty.

Relax. Trust the process. Check back in three weeks.

Same here... had my fitbit with just step calculations going on linked to MFP.. had to disconnect it, it was throwing everything off and caused me to eat at the wrong caloric intake. If I was just going to ignore it anyhow, then I might as well not even have it link up. It seemed to give me something like 300-400 calories back for just 5,000 steps each day. Didn't feel right to me.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5' 5" but I eat 1350 calories + I eat back some/most of my exercise calories depending on the day I've had and how much activity I've put in.

I live a pretty sedentary life with a desk job and not a whole lot of exercise
  • lisajames925
    Options
    MFP set my goal. She’s done course in nutrition so not sure. I always underestimate my exercise by looking at fit bit and the exercise cals on MFP to. I did eat a little more Cals yesterday as did 80 mins walk , 60 min ab blast work out and 60 mins combat . Was only fruit though, even though I fancied a creame egg
  • lisajames925
    Options
    Didn’t stick to it today fell off wagon as feel disheartend , now feel guilty
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,888 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You know these disjointed conversations with multiple people in the pot confuse me.

Either you want an opinion on what your trainer is proposing or you don't. Presumably your trainer has the complete picture -- so far we do not.

What is your current weight, height, age, activity level other than intentional exercise?

how consistently and for how much time during the day do your exercise?

What is your goal deficit? How much does your Fitbit tell you that you burn everyday? What is your average intake of food? Do you scan packages? weight ingredients?

What has been your weight trend over the past 4 to 6 weeks?

Did you start a new exercise routine just recently, and how long ago was that?

As with many things in life if you make weight loss too difficult you will increase the chances that you will just give up.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Impossible to know without more detail. Possible explanations would be if this is over a short timescale that the weight gain you are seeing is just an increase in water retention caused by increased activity levels (glycogen recruitment to muscles, muscle repair etc). Keep in mind that weight gain is not always fat gain.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

How do you update your goals in MFP? Forgive me if this is obvious and I am just having brain fade LOL :)

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,888 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

How do you update your goals in MFP? Forgive me if this is obvious and I am just having brain fade LOL :)

Re run guided setup