What happens when you get to goal

Do you get more calories once at goal?

Replies

• Melville1581
    Melville1581 Posts: 1 Member
    I would imagine that you would then eat a bit more calories to maintain your goal weight
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,145 Member
    They hang a wreath on your door and wear black.

So true!
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 176 Member
    Yes. I gradually increased mine until I stopped losing weight. My number was 1600.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    There is no goal, just goal weight. You get to eat a couple of hundred more calories per day, but you'll practically be doing the same as when you were losing.

Yes, preach it!
  • l_beal
    l_beal Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everyone
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you want to maintain you eat maintenance calories for you weight and stats and activity...if you kept eating your deficit calories, you'd keep losing weight...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    If you're losing slowly at the end, .5 week or so, then you don't get many more calories in maintenance. I was losing so slowly I finally just stopped losing when I reached that delicate CI=CO maintenance balance. I stopped logging a long time ago, and I would say I have a couple more treats now than I used to, but it's also very easy to regain a "few" pounds (not fluctuation pounds) so I still have to be watchful.
  • WilmaValley
    WilmaValley Posts: 1,092 Member
    Excellent suggestions, needed to hear this, thanks!!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    You hang on by your toes for about a year, then you get the hang of it.

That is sooo true.
    I think it was 6 month before I was confident and thought- yes I've got it those last, slooowww, 5 lbs really are gone and this is what I eat.

8 years later, no counting, I just do a night time tally of my protein and have a shake if I am short.

Cheers, h.

I'm about 6 months into maintenance and I think I'm just getting to that level of confidence. I've only now stopped seeing relatively big water weight fluctuations as I've settled into my new routine.

Don't be surprised if the scale bounces around for a while as you readjust your calories. I use Happy Scale to track trends rather than relying on just daily weight readings.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If you're losing slowly at the end, .5 week or so, then you don't get many more calories in maintenance. I was losing so slowly I finally just stopped losing when I reached that delicate CI=CO maintenance balance. I stopped logging a long time ago, and I would say I have a couple more treats now than I used to, but it's also very easy to regain a "few" pounds (not fluctuation pounds) so I still have to be watchful.

I am about to do a variation of this. My goal is the new upper end of my range, so I really want to lose a few more. But I don't want to continue at my current pace; I am losing over a half pound per week at this point.

I want to get to 5-7 pounds under goal, but not in a hurry (partly because I am a little afraid of maintenance). I calculated estimated TDEE at 5, 10 and 15 pounds below goal for sedentary to see how much it adjusted for 5 pound increments, which is only 27 calories. This is why maintenance scares me; if I set my daily 54 calories too high, I would slowly gain 10 pounds (hopefully, I would pay attention and adjust before that). I am going to start at 100 under estimated maintenance for 15 under at sedentary, track that for a while and be sure I am still losing, and adjust again when I get about 4 pounds under, which will hopefully take a while.

I have lost all this weight before and gained it back, which is why I fear maintenance. When I started dieting, i couldn't wait for it to be over. Now I want to delay that as long as possible.