Pumpkin Seed & Carrot Tops Pesto

Options
CuteMonkeyGal
CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
I didn't have any pine nuts so I thought about using pumpkin seeds. Also, a few of my carrots came in in my garden, and I didn't want to just use the carrot tops in a stock. So, I came up with this recipe. It makes approx. 12 servings (2 TBSP/Serving) @ 103 calories/serving. Enjoy! :)

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds- Shelled & Salted, 1/2 cup
Parmesean Cheese Grated, 6 tsp (2 TBSP)
Spice World - Minced Garlic In Water, 1 tsp (or 2 garlic cloves)
Generic - Carrot Leaves, 1 cup packed
Spices - Basil, fresh, 8 tbsp (1/2 cup)
Lemon Juice - Fresh Squeezed, 2 Tbl (1 fl oz/28 g)
100% Pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 8 Tbsp (1/2 cup) (15mL)
Spices - Salt, table, 1 tsp (or to taste)

Preparation:

Combine the pumpkin seeds, Parmesan, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse on and off, for about 20 seconds, until the seeds are almost ground. Add basil, carrot tops, lemon juice, and olive oil, and pulse on and off for about 40 seconds (you may want to scrap down the sides with a spatula in between pulses), until all the ingredients are combined. The mixture should be more like a course paste than a liquefied sauce, so be careful not to over-process. Mine was still a little chunky with the pumpkin seeds. I thought that they added a nice texture. Salt to taste. Use right away or refrigerate for a few days.

ETA: The recipe is modified from here: http://americanfood.about.com/od/saucesdipsanddressings/r/pumpseedpesto.htm

Replies