Weight fluctuations

Options
Hello. What’s a normal weight fluctuation? I’ve been under my daily calorie goal for over 1 week and all of a sudden starting Saturday I’m 2lbs heavier?? No alcohol and sodium intake has been below target. Any ideas?

Replies

• abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you started a new workout plan? Sore muscles? Did you weigh at the same time of day with the same amount of clothes on? There's so many things that can cause fluctuations, and 2 pounds can easily be from one of them. If you're logging accurately, you shouldn't worry!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I've gone up 8 pounds due to being sore and 5 once for not being " regular" on the potty .

Water retention happens, sometimes we can feel like we've done everything right but it still occurs from time to time. Just don't get discouraged and trust the process. If you know that you've counted calories as accurately as possible, don't sweat it.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My normal fluctuations have about a 3-4 pound range.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Sometimes mine will fluctuate 5-6 lbs.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yep that's normal, I have seen as much as up to 4lbs and that's even being in maintenance.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates up to about 4 lbs. Weight fluctuations can happen for many reasons but there isn't really anything to worry about unless it's a really big fluctuation!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Keep at it and you'll wake up one morning and woosh, 10 pounds lost.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello. What’s a normal weight fluctuation? I’ve been under my daily calorie goal for over 1 week and all of a sudden starting Saturday I’m 2lbs heavier?? No alcohol and sodium intake has been below target. Any ideas?

if you're trying to maintain, you don't need to be under your goal?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My fluctuations have always been around 3% of my body weight .... so currently 72kg .. can easily jump over 1.5kg in a direction depending on what I eat, do or if I am ill
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations vary widely by individual. Some people (particularly women) can vary a lot, others not so much.

I'm in the latter group. As long as I'm eating w/in my set cal goal, my weight varies less than 1#/day.

A 2# gain or loss is a vary rare event for me and is usually due to eating late and not allowing time for food digestion or a BM.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Up to 3% is considered "normal. Some people can experience up to 5%.

Last summer I managed about 4% due to carbs, sodium, and Sun exposure.
  • hessamghanbar
    hessamghanbar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Today after 2 days I gained 2 kilos without any reasons....I didn't have overeating or alcohol consumption....angry...
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 pounds of water weight after my last half marathon. Intense exercise can do that.

If I didn’t eat my fiber cereal, then that shows up on the scale too...for exactly the reasons you might expect.

More often, though, my scale is up a pound or two on Sunday or Monday thanks to going out on the weekend. I didn’t go over my calories; it’s just water fluctuation.

Maintenance should not mean that your weight is exactly the same every day. You’re going to be a lot less stressed if you have a maintenance range that you stay within. Most people are okay with a 4-6 pound range or so.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In Maintenance 5-10 lbs seems common for many people. By tracking you weight daily for a month you can learn what is "normal" fluctuation for you.