Hello... I'm new to healthy eating.

Options
Hello everyone, my name is Troy and I'm new to healthy dieting. For 50+ years I ate food for the flavor regardless of its nutritional value and now I'm an obese diabetic. After diabetes started affecting my eyesight, I became serious about my health. Now, I try to eat mostly raw fruits & vegetables, boiled eggs, nuts, and seeds, but I will occasionally include a protein bar or boneless, skinless chicken breast and this has been my life for the last 4 weeks. I hope I can keep it up. So far, I'm hungry all the time of which I'm starting to become accustomed and I'm told it gets easier, yet remain nervous. Only time will tell.

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Welcome Troy!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think it will be easier to keep eating healthily if you expand your food choices a bit. Sometimes when we eat too much and/or unbalanced, we think the food is the problem, and that if we just eliminate as much of the food as possible, the problems will be gone. That's not the way it works. Food is important, and good, and you can't deny yourself pleasure from it for very long. What you need to do to be healthy, is to eat sensibly. If you eat well, you will be as healthy as you can, and you don't have to hope to be able to stick to it. You can eat a strange, bland, diet for a while, but it will become harder and harder, until you can't anymore, and then you start to "sabotage" yourself, cave, and go back to how you ate before, just a more extreme version.

If you're legitimately hungry, too, you're definitely not going to make it, and give in even sooner than if your diet is just boring. You have to eat less to lose weight, but not so little that you get ill. What amount of food you need, depends on your size. What calorie target are you aiming for? What's your height and weight?