Calories in beef

Options
sportychic87
sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
edited February 2018 in Food and Nutrition
For dinner I had a 7 oz eye of round steak, it was sssooo good. Only problem is that I’m seeing a huge variance of the estimated calories over the web, including the usda website. I logged it as ~340 calories but not sure if I’m close.
Any ideas?
How do you calculate when there’s so many different estimates?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If 7 oz was the raw weight for just the meat (no bone included), that's a reasonable number (it's going to vary some depending on how close fat was trimmed and how you cooked it (mainly how much fat dripped off in cooking), but 160 kcal per 100 g looks like a middlish point to me and a 7 oz steak is almost 200 g, so 340 gives you about 20 kcal overage in case your steak was a bit more toward the fatty range.

If 7 oz was the cooked weight for just the meat, I'd say you're a good bit low. I would put it closer to 400 kcal.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It was 7 oz raw, it had no fat for me to trim so seemed pretty lean, but it was 7 oz for just the meat (which is a lot).
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The usda site can be so confusing sometimes! I would say that you estimated it at about what I would guess it to be. This is the one I would have used: https://tinyurl.com/y7qukxy3 As for what entry to use on MFP, that's another task.. In a quick search, I couldn't really find one that matched the usda information. Maybe you could make a new one or edit an entry with the right nutrition and calories. :]
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The usda website varies by the amount of fat left after trimming. Did you see a fat rind? Guestimate the initial width of that, and it would be slightly reduced by cooking, and use that usda database listing.