Protein brand

Options
Hello everyone, I just wondering is that necessary to take protein powder for girl ? Which brand is everyone favourite?
I just start working out this month , would like to have someone can discuss with me about exercise and diet

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Some people like it if they're struggling to hit their protein goals, others find it doesn't do anything to keep them satisfied. It's certainly not necessary especially if you're hitting your protein goals through food. How much are you eating right now?
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yep, only if you're not getting enough protein from other foods. Doesn't matter if you're girl or guy. There's no magic in protein powder.
  • vivianchiu3006
    vivianchiu3006 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Some people like it if they're struggling to hit their protein goals, others find it doesn't do anything to keep them satisfied. It's certainly not necessary especially if you're hitting your protein goals through food. How much are you eating right now?

Normally I take 100g a day but I think it’s not enough for me , actually I don’t know how much protein I should have a day , weight * 2.2 = protein is that correct?
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Yep, only if you're not getting enough protein from other foods. Doesn't matter if you're girl or guy. There's no magic in protein powder.
    Thanks for your response but I think it is a bit hard to getting enough protein form food
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

Normally I take 100g a day but I think it’s not enough for me , actually I don’t know how much protein I should have a day , weight * 2.2 = protein is that correct?

100g is actually pretty good, it's actually usually 0.8g per lean muscle mass but 100g is probably a good start. If you're doing a lifting program you may need a bit more so it really depends on the why behind the worry, if it's just a concern about protein intake in general or if you're wanting to make sure you're getting adequate protein for whatever exercise you're doing.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I like Nutrabio Whey Isolate. I am allergic to soy and many brands use it as an emulsifier. Nutrabio doesn't cause any reaction and both the chocolate and the vanilla taste good to me. I don't even need a shaker bottle with the isolate. I just put a scoop into a small bottle of milk and it shakes up fine. Their "Muscle Matrix" brand is an isolate/casein mix that is also not bad. They also use a transparent label in that everything is listed by weight, even flavoring.

In terms of how much you need, it is around .8g-1g per lbs of lean body mass if you train. More than that really isn't needed but I get more as it fills me up nicely. My macros are set to 30c/30f/40p. I strength train for 2 hours, 4 days a week. You should try to find what works for you and eat real food for the macro if possible. If not there is nothing wrong with protein powder. In fact, it is likely more healthy than many other choices out there.

• vivianchiu3006
    Options

100g is actually pretty good, it's actually usually 0.8g per lean muscle mass but 100g is probably a good start. If you're doing a lifting program you may need a bit more so it really depends on the why behind the worry, if it's just a concern about protein intake in general or if you're wanting to make sure you're getting adequate protein for whatever exercise you're doing.

I also do some lifting workouts ,just in a light weight, as you said before I think I might need a bit more, thanks for your response.
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I like Nutrabio Whey Isolate. I am allergic to soy and many brands use it as an emulsifier. Nutrabio doesn't cause any reaction and both the chocolate and the vanilla taste good to me. I don't even need a shaker bottle with the isolate. I just put a scoop into a small bottle of milk and it shakes up fine. Their "Muscle Matrix" brand is an isolate/casein mix that is also not bad. They also use a transparent label in that everything is listed by weight, even flavoring.

In terms of how much you need, it is around .8g-1g per lbs of lean body mass if you train. More than that really isn't needed but I get more as it fills me up nicely. My macros are set to 30c/30f/40p. I strength train for 2 hours, 4 days a week. You should try to find what works for you and eat real food for the macro if possible. If not there is nothing wrong with protein powder. In fact, it is likely more healthy than many other choices out there.

Sounds good , I will try it !
    I set up my macros 30c/30f/40p as well but it is too hard to get enough protein that’s why I am thinking to take powder, my goals are burning fat and then gaining muscles .
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I personally like the Met Rx Protein Plus brand. They have vanilla and chocolate flavor.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options

I set up my macros 30c/30f/40p as well but it is too hard to get enough protein that’s why I am thinking to take powder, my goals are burning fat and then gaining muscles .

40% protein is a lot. I think 30%-35% is ideal.
  • Tariq_1997
    Tariq_1997 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    100 grams of protein for a girl is pretty good. Personally i use (Optimum nutrition Whey protein Isolate) and sometimes i use the concentrate which is not 100% pure but still good.
    I have 150+ protein a day not because i go to gym but to maintain my muscle mass and cause i'm somehow huge.
  • Charlsberg123
    Charlsberg123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    MyProtein is my go-to for protein powder - tons of flavours, very high quality, delicious and very cheap!
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use pure protein in vanilla cream and chocolate.
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    I personally like the Met Rx Protein Plus brand. They have vanilla and chocolate flavor.

Cool
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options

If I set 35% protein where can I add another 5%?
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    Tariq_1997 wrote: »
    100 grams of protein for a girl is pretty good. Personally i use (Optimum nutrition Whey protein Isolate) and sometimes i use the concentrate which is not 100% pure but still good.
    I have 150+ protein a day not because i go to gym but to maintain my muscle mass and cause i'm somehow huge.

Haha I thought 100g is not enough for me but actually is enough, I misunderstand that information from the internet
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »
    I use pure protein in vanilla cream and chocolate.

How’s the test? Good ?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

Adding it to either carbs or fat is fine, it really just depends on what you find filling. It’s important to get a minimum of healthy fats and protein but other than that (or some medical concern) there’s really no reason to keep close track of macros if your goal is weight loss.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    You're getting a lot of generic advice. Percentages mean absolutely nothing and are dependent on the number of calories you're consuming. How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what is your goal, how many calories are you consuming, and what kind of workouts are you doing?
  • vivianchiu3006
    Options

Adding it to either carbs or fat is fine, it really just depends on what you find filling. It’s important to get a minimum of healthy fats and protein but other than that (or some medical concern) there’s really no reason to keep close track of macros if your goal is weight loss.

Ok , thanks